• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DAIWA Amorphous Whisker 13ft Harrier Match Stick Float Special awm 13s

Daniel Earl

Senior Member & Supporter
Morning all,

I have a DAIWA Amorphous Whisker 13ft Harrier Match Stick Float Special awm 13s

This post is starting without a value, as I don’t know what it’s worth some on eBay seem to be going for 165 pound. So some help on valuing and I suppose it’s only worth what someone wants to give for it, I am happy to post.

I want to sell it for a fair price and for someone to use it.

It’s in fabulous condition, BUT it’s 3 inches short on the spliced tip, It must have been mega thin in the first place as I really could not tell.

All joints fit lovely with no scratching and in overall 8/9 out 10 condition for age.

It does have a triangle hard tube and green dust bag both non originals and not daiwa.

Attachments

• IMG_6928.jpeg
    IMG_6928.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6932.jpeg
    IMG_6932.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6935.jpeg
    IMG_6935.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6930.jpeg
    IMG_6930.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6936.jpeg
    IMG_6936.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 85
The only triangular tube I remember was the drennan 12.9. circa early norties black and I think unwritten. Think a chubb rod

Fox did some triangular tubes as well as drennan. I have had a few drennan rods which were supplied in a cloth bag and a triangular tube. I still have a couple, one is a im6 light feeder which houses the quiver tips in a rubber bung the tips slid slid up into the blank/corks and the rubber bung squashes into the end....great idea.
I don't suppose any of that matters though.

Cracking looking rod Daniel, I reckon it would be worth having the tip replaced at daiwa for such a nice rod !

@Ian Woods do you think they would on a rod that old ? To be fair its a stunner just Gove it a biff up its near on mint. Tag with out measuring it I don't think you would notice the difference in the tip the tip is 1.15mm so its thin as is ild imagine the original was about a mm it prob add an ounce to the over test.

@Ian Woods do you think they would on a rod that old ? To be fair its a stunner just Gove it a biff up its near on mint. Tag with out measuring it I don't think you would notice the difference in the tip the tip is 1.15mm so its thin as is ild imagine the original was about a mm it prob add an ounce to the over test.
Unfortunately Dan with a broken tip its value plummets into the floor.
I wouldn’t give much more than £50 for it as it is being completely honest.

The tip would probably of been around 0.8mm at the very end making it extremely fast and forgiving just like a spliced tip should be.
The good thing is (unless it’s glued in) it’s possible to get it back exactly as it should be.
No daiwa won’t touch it as it’s long obsolete but you or a builder could do it. All the guides need to be taken off and the tip pushed backwards into the section to remove it. Bit of a job and probably quite expensive if someone else did it.

Thank you :) it feels good in the hand still I will keep hold of it and make it a user it will fish well enough as it is. If I fall in love with it I will look to try and repair it if I feel it beneficial. The rest of the rod is mint so seems a shame not to use.

Last edited:
I have heard of people sending old rods to daiwa for repaire. I imagine daiwa had got one of their staff to sort out the rod?
I'm sure the job isn't a difficult one for a rod builder, or a person who likes to fiddle about with such things.
The daiwa splced rods I had had the splice whipped on so you shouldn't need to dowhat JW did in this short video...

Spoke to my mate who builds them gave him some measurements.

We took the measurement of the break 3.5inc missing the diameter of it currently sits at the tip 1.1 and the diameter back 3.50 inc he did some calculations and spat out a number at me and said don’t bother 🤣🤣 go out fish and enjoy

So such as I will

Thanks gents

Spoke to my mate who builds them gave him some measurements.

We took the measurement of the break 3.5inc missing the diameter of it currently sits at the tip 1.1 and the diameter back 3.50 inc he did some calculations and spat out a number at me and said don’t bother 🤣🤣 go out fish and enjoy

So such as I will

Thanks gents

Out of curiosity, what did he spit at you 😬....how much did he want to do it?

Out of curiosity, what did he spit at you 😬....how much did he want to do it?
Haha sorry meant a number of what the tip should have bin and how much I lost.

I’m very lucky as I am friends with Nick Buss and he would if I pushed do it for me. But he said don’t bother and just use the rod and enjoy it for that much performance lost and potential damage to repairing it use and enjoy it, it’s still a fine tool for the job.

It’s not a quick job to it get right. When I spliced my river tip on my custom built avenger 2000 it took several tip purchases before I found the right one to seamlessly match the blanks action. Then you’ve got to cut both the tip and the blank in the correct places to ensure the action matches, the tip fits and the section ends up the correct length overall. In my case I had to change the taper on the back of the cut tip because at the right length it was too fast a taper to fit inside the taper of the blank. This is before cutting all the guides off which are to be put back on again.

3 inches missing doesn’t effect the action when it’s hooped over with a big fish on. At this point the end of the tip is highly irrelevant as it’s pointed at the water. However 3 inches missing off the tip slows the rod action down. The tip being stiffened means that pressure applied to the line needs to be greater to start compressing the blank which will start lower down.
It will be fine to use but probably less useful with quick wrist strikes and smaller species

If it was mine i would re splice it. The rod would be worth my time to do it and it would be a better rod for me with a full length spliced tip.

It’s not a quick job to it get right. When I spliced my river tip on my custom built avenger 2000 it took several tip purchases before I found the right one to seamlessly match the blanks action. Then you’ve got to cut both the tip and the blank in the correct places to ensure the action matches, the tip fits and the section ends up the correct length overall. In my case I had to change the taper on the back of the cut tip because at the right length it was too fast a taper to fit inside the taper of the blank. This is before cutting all the guides off which are to be put back on again.

3 inches missing doesn’t effect the action when it’s hooped over with a big fish on. At this point the end of the tip is highly irrelevant as it’s pointed at the water. However 3 inches missing off the tip slows the rod action down. The tip being stiffened means that pressure applied to the line needs to be greater to start compressing the blank which will start lower down.
It will be fine to use but probably less useful with quick wrist strikes and smaller species

If it was mine i would re splice it. The rod would be worth my time to do it and it would be a better rod for me with a full length spliced tip.

I will look at my options it’s just finding a builder that wants to take it on and what cost as it’s out of my capabilities by a long shot to do my self.

This post has gone from me outing it to now wanting to restore it. It’s part of a couple of bits I’ve kept and was already on the fence about it as it’s the same as my godfather had not the exact one that got taken by family members.

You pick it up it’s crisp it’s not to heavy lovely finish and it really good condition.

I will look at my options it’s just finding a builder that wants to take it on and what cost as it’s out of my capabilities by a long shot to do my self.

This post has gone from me outing it to now wanting to restore it. It’s part of a couple of bits I’ve kept and was already on the fence about it as it’s the same as my godfather had not the exact one that got taken by family members.

You pick it up it’s crisp it’s not to heavy lovely finish and it really good condition.
It’s a beautiful rod.
Well worth a restoration

You could do a lot to save yourself a lot of money.
You would be capable of stripping the old guides off carefully and removing the whipping over the splice. You could then knock the old tip out
Order a couple of new tips from guides n blanks. Go with something like 3mm-0.8 over 600mm and 3.5mm - 0.8 over 600mm and see which taper matches your rod action best.

Doing as much as you can saves you builders fees 👍🏻

I always fancied a shimano aspire ultra but couldn't afford one when in production. Finally found a new one last year. They were notoriously prone to breaking apparently. I caught several mid double fiestly carp no problem. Broke it with unexpected barbel at decoy lakes. Its 12.10 now but can't think its going to be an issue. Several dealers still have spares 10 years after they were discontinued so a search on line could be successful Daniel. Aspire feeder top sections for example are still available. For my float, only the handle and middle sections, sadly.

Got the tip out not clean though lost about 8mm off Carrier section I had to cut back leaving me a note of about 2.4 internal diameter

Ordered the bits I need today sum of of 12 quid rings cleaned up kept some of the whipping back to try and colour match using the underneath as it’s not changed via varnish.

My calculations are correct the tip overall length will need to be set back at around 132 cm.

@Richard Isaacs thanks for the spur on it’s good fun.

Got an old quiver laid up next to it just work out where I need to land.

Keep you posted

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 49
Ordered the bits I need today sum of of 12 quid rings cleaned up kept some of the whipping back to try and colour match using the underneath as it’s not changed via varnish.

My calculations are correct the tip overall length will need to be set back at around 132 cm.

@Richard Isaacs thanks for the spur on it’s good fun.

Got an old quiver laid up next to it just work out where I need to land.

Keep you posted
Well done you.
You’ve basically cut the cost of that job down by 60% or more.
All a builder has to do now is whip on afew guides which is easy and quick for them. Nice one. Hope you get the tip nice and perfect first time.
You only want about 50-60mm inside the blank when you push it through the back tight.
With the right tip at the right length in the right place, you can eliminate the evidence of the joint all together. It’s no easy task but it can be done. And be better than it was originally

Again well done and I can’t wait to see how it goes

To give you an idea on price , I sold one about 18 months ago for around £75 but may have been a different version , had red tippets on the whippings. The guy that bought it was going to modernise the handle to a screw fitting.

Back