• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheaper pins

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
Evening,

So I bought myself a J W Young Triton to go on my Acolyte for trotting.

Now looking for a couple of cheaper options, one for trotting and one for ledgering but not wanting to spend nearly £500 each on these as they are going to be a bit more abused due to the nature of some of the swims ill be using them in.

Be nice to get them both for around £300 if possible.

Cheers
Martin

While they are quite simplistic things, they do differ depending on what your doing exactly and there’s your own preference on things which quickly comes to light after use particularly on size, design and check position etc.

I would personally wait till the river season opens and get out with the triton. You’ll quickly decide whether you like the design to trott with or whether you would like something bigger, smaller, narrower or wider or with the check lever in a different place. Maybe you decide you want a lighter pin with the back plate cut out or 12 spokes on the spool or solid spool back plate. Each thing makes a change to how the pin fishes for you.

There’s no point throwing another £300 at more of them based on what other people like, your best off working with the one you’ve got first to decide what it is that you like.

Trotting Okuma Sheffield (around £100) second hand. Speedia wide drum or Grice and Young Avon Royale supreme both older reels but good for ledgering.

Back