• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheapo Spoppering Rod

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All, for the last few years I've been using a manky old carp rod**, cut down from 12ft to 7ft (test curve >30lb 😂 ) for my spoppering. It was unwieldy, very heavy, and had the 'action' of a Trigger's broom handle. But for this season I've splashed out on a 6ft, 3lb t/c 'Spoppering Rod'.
It's slim carbon fibre, light as a feather ... and cast 7oz (the weight of my spopper, fully loaded) with ease.
I'd recommend it for the job. £19 delivered from eBay.
**that I found up a tree, complete with reel, on the banks of the Teme after an 18ft flood:eek:

A Pike deadbait rod >3lb tc is a good choice too, usually a nice through action so can chuck a substantial amount of weight.

Double up as a flood rod too in a pinch if you need 10oz to hold bottom 😆

12' 3.75lb TC stiff tipped marker rod for me and 50lb braid. Even for mini-spoppers on smaller rivers. Same set up for years, don't even think I've used an overhead cast with it, always underarm. I find the stiffness helps me be more accurate.

Back