• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison Torrix custom vs factory made

This thread reinforces the fact I'm very happy to buy a factory built rod.

1, I don't know enough about all the different blanks available.
2, I don't know enough about the size and type of reel seat required.
3, I don't know enough about ring spacing and how many are required.

I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of ordering a custom built rod, to then have it delivered and it not be what I'd imagined it would be. Then maybe having trouble selling it on.

No thanks.

I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of ordering a custom built rod, to then have it delivered and it not be what I'd imagined it would be. Then maybe having trouble selling it on.

No thanks.
Nowt wrong with the majority of factory built rods
I fish for various species for everyone I started off with cheap off the shelf versions and I’ll almost certainly have caught more fish on them then than I do now ( but I had more time and it was pre-otters, cormorants etc)
When done correctly and you have a specific idea of what you want and perhaps where an off the shelf is lacking , if this is translated by the rod builder then you can get something that is sublime , then it’s worth every cent.
But Harrison this and Free Spirit that on its own doesn’t guarantee this- they’re just a bit of high quality carbon

No thanks.
I would say less than 1% of people that have rods custom built know these things either Simon. If you needed to know it, then most people would be very hesitant too.

Custom builds are guided by your builder. You can’t really get it wrong unless the builder makes a mistake in which case it’s down to them to rectify.

So you don’t specify a ring pattern or reel seat size if you don’t want to. You tell the builder what your casting, the distances and the reels you’ll be using. Then tell them the preference of whether you like screw up or screw down like on your basias

You can say if you prefer single or double legged guides.

If your fishing weedy areas you might want a bigger tip guide to crank weed through

You might want a through action blank capable of casting 5oz. They will then recommend either the chimera 3 at 12ft or 2.5lb Avon at 11ft and you chose.

Then there’s the sight tip if you want one and obviously any little detail to personalise it to you like whipping colours, tipping colours, writing, numbers on sections if your having a pair, collar and end cap type. Cork/eva/abreviated or both etc

You do not need to have any knowledge of rods whatsoever to be able to get a successful build you just need knowledge of what you do and what you want the rod to do which of course……. Every angler has.

It’s not for everyone but i personally love my custom builds. There’s no finer upgrade than having something you’ve designed yourself.

Great posts everyone. Paul, thanks much for posting the pics, very helpful. As have been all the posts.

What determines how many rings everyone choses? It would be for an 11ft rod. I believe the standard is 6 plus tip? What are the advantages of 8 plus tip?

What determines how many rings everyone choses? It would be for an 11ft rod. I believe the standard is 6 plus tip? What are the advantages of 8 plus tip?
The action of the blank, 6 plus tip is more like a carp rod/high tc rod thing. For through action rod, there are more rings. Think about how rod bends and the line between the rings, you want the line through the ring form the shape as the rod, so the force can be distributed correctly, last thing you want is the line between rings form a bow shape with the blank.

'Your' rod builder may ask you the length, diameter and shape of handle you prefer, quality of cork, position of reel seat and many other questions - but on the other hand - maybe not.

'Your' rod builder may ask you the length, diameter and shape of handle you prefer, quality of cork, position of reel seat and many other questions - but on the other hand - maybe not.
I’ve never been asked those questions Bob.
It must just be yourself that offers such options

It’s a common trend that barbel rods need at least 8 guides plus tip. I don’t know why and to be honest I think it’s very dictated by fashion.
Guides are there to guide your line through the rod .
You need enough of them to allow for a smooth transition of line from guide to guide and no more.
Too few and you’re line angle from each guide becomes too sharp and too many hinders the blanks action and adds unnecessary weight

Spaced correctly I have found 7 plus tip on a 12ft rod to be ideal with just 1 guide 3/4 of the way up the butt section.

I also like the Fuji k series guides for no other reason than the fact they are super strong. In single legged format they are stronger than a lot of double legged conventional shape guides and this allows you to reduce the numbers of whippings by half.

My barbel rods have 7 guides and 8 whippings (excluding tip) which when compared to the same rods consisting of 9 guides and 18 whippings you can really feel the difference in the way the blank bends and the weight of the rod in general. It’s more noticeable than you would think.

6 plus tip on an 11ft rod could very well be brilliant but I’m not sure as my 11’s are aswell 7 plus tip and that works great.

The softer and longer the rod, the more guides will be necessary as it bends further creating that line angle which should not be too sharp between guides. Hence the reason carp rods get away with 5/6

Back