• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Particle baits.

Julian Griffiths

Other than pellets maggots small boilies corn etc.
Has anyone gone down the seed route for their specimen barbel approach?

I've been contemplating the use of hair rigged maples & other pea/bean related baits for some time now, obviously soaked & cooked properly.
And flavoured.

I'd be quite interested in hearing how they performed.
I've got to a stage where I'd like to do something different.

But the only thing that's put me off of the idea is that how long it could take to get the bait accepted in a world dominated by high protein pellets boilies & the like.
😊

If you are lucky enough to fish rivers where barbel shoal then I reckon pulses would be a cheaper and healthier alternative if prepared properly.
My venues now are pretty barren with barbel and the seed approach would be fine for the chub bream etc.
Personally I don't see a haired bean outfishing a boilie or pellet unless there is competition ie a shoal scenario.

Julian, if you can get hold of a copy of Roger Miller's 'The complete barbel angler' he writes about his use of peanuts. Other books that have chapters on particles for barbel include Barbel Mania by Andy Orme and 'The Best of Dick Walkers Coarse Fishing'
Jim Gibbinsons excellent book 'Gravel Pit Carp' has some detail on the use of particles albeit not specifically for barbel but well worth a read too.
Cheers
Tommo

Maples or tares would be worth a try. Both are dark, heavy and wouldn’t need flavouring. My memory tells me maples have been used successfully.

But mates of mine have used particles (on the Thames) for carp and they haven’t caught any barbel like that….a few carp and plenty of bream certainly. Of course that might just be a reflection of the low head of barbel in most of the river…..

Back in the early 90's I used to fish 3 small black beads on a hair over a tight bed of hemp when fishing the Bristol Avon. Worked very well with shoal sized Barbel when the fishing became hard. Think there is an article on here by Keith Speer about baiting heavily with particle Maples? on the Thames and a very successful campaign. Tried prebaiting Tiger nuts for a week on the great Ouse again many years ago. Ended up with a swim full of Carp and no Barbel. https://barbel.co.uk/forum/threads/ever-thought-of-pre-baiting.7721/#post-123640

Julian, if you can get hold of a copy of Roger Miller's 'The complete barbel angler' he writes about his use of peanuts. Other books that have chapters on particles for barbel include Barbel Mania by Andy Orme and 'The Best of Dick Walkers Coarse Fishing'
Jim Gibbinsons excellent book 'Gravel Pit Carp' has some detail on the use of particles albeit not specifically for barbel but well worth a read too.
Cheers
Tommo
Cheers Paul. Some good pointers there mate 👍

Maples or tares would be worth a try. Both are dark, heavy and wouldn’t need flavouring. My memory tells me maples have been used successfully.

But mates of mine have used particles (on the Thames) for carp and they haven’t caught any barbel like that….a few carp and plenty of bream certainly. Of course that might just be a reflection of the low head of barbel in most of the river…..
Yes my thoughts on low head of barbel might reflect the end result. But will certainly try 😊

I had a very large haul of Barbel from the Trent some years ago fishing 10mm halibut boilies over a spodded bed of particles.

It was a partiblend with red and yellow maize in it, I'm getting another sack this season to try the same tactics on the Swale.

Back