• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

Not Yorks/Derbyshire Andrew but is Hybaldstow Lakes in Lincolnshire within sensible travel for you ?
I've searched it on Google maps and nowt comes up. Hibaldstow comes up(about 40 mile) but no hibaldstow lakes? Do you have a grid reference or what 3 words reference?

I've searched it on Google maps and nowt comes up. Hibaldstow comes up(about 40 mile) but no hibaldstow lakes? Do you have a grid reference or what 3 words reference?
Brian has come to my rescue with location, thanks Brian 👍, I’ve never fished it myself but I know that there has been a Tenchfishers Fish-In on there for at least the past two years. I believe it’s quite prolific with tincas to seven pound. I can as k the TF local RO for more info if you’d like me to Andrew
PS
Next Tenchfishers “do” on there is at end of May. The larger of the two lakes has the better Tench in it and it’s on day ticket 👍

Last edited:
Anyone know of any decent tench ponds around South Yorkshire /north Derbyshire area. I've got the Scunthorpe book but there main tench water doesn't open till the 16th😠
Just in case you are a member for their Barbel fishing, Ashfield Angling Club control Nostell Priory which I’m told is a useful Tench fishery Andrew. If you aren’t a member don’t trouble yourself looking! There are over three thousand (3000) names on the waiting list dating back to 2019

Cheers for the info lads. I'll give it a go when work dies down a bit.
And yes Bill if your mate can point me in the right direction re bait and method it might be handy....never have to much info on a new water

A smidgeon under 8Ib today…happy with that for a male fish. Unfortunately not on the float but on the method feeder, really struggling so far on the float, think there not coming into the margins just yet maybe?
IMG_0049.jpeg

Brian has come to my rescue with location, thanks Brian 👍, I’ve never fished it myself but I know that there has been a Tenchfishers Fish-In on there for at least the past two years. I believe it’s quite prolific with tincas to seven pound. I can as k the TF local RO for more info if you’d like me to Andrew
PS
Next Tenchfishers “do” on there is at end of May. The larger of the two lakes has the better Tench in it and it’s on day ticket 👍
Did you get any info on hibaldstow Bill? I might get towards the end of the week

I’ll chase him up Andrew 👍
Not good news I’m afraid Andrew. Apparently last years “banker swims” are not producing due to the fishery still being flooded and effectively being just one lake because of the flood water. Richard has recommended you contact the fishery for up to date info before travelling. Doesn’t sound too clever ☹️

If you do travel feeder tactics with maggot and worm were the norm.

Sorry it’s not good news.

Regards

Bill

I’ve fished hibalstow quite a few times over the past 2 years. It is the most prolific tench fishery I’ve ever fished, my best day was 24 tench up to around 5lb and half a dozen Rudd to over 2lb. Unfortunately as said earlier it’s been flooded with the wet winter and up to now isn’t producing as well.
The complex is actually a stone quarry and the owners have spent allot of time and effort to make suitable pegs which do accommodate a wide fluctuation of water levels.
In previous years it’s been quite weedy and I’ve tended to fish close in to avoid the thickest of it, with the extra water it’s not quite as weedy at the moment.
There isn’t any stream or drain running into the lakes, the water is direct from the water table and it’s very clear.
A tenchfishers member fished it 2 years ago for a day and half and had over 100 tench for his efforts.
I’m fishing it at the end of this month with the tenchfishers and hoping that things improve. The tench seem to top out at 5lbs ish although I’d suspect there will be better although none have been reported on their Facebook page. Beware of Steve the fishery manager he can be prone to stretching the truth, but actually he’s a sound bloke. He can be contacted on 07960784764.

I’ve fished hibalstow quite a few times over the past 2 years. It is the most prolific tench fishery I’ve ever fished, my best day was 24 tench up to around 5lb and half a dozen Rudd to over 2lb. Unfortunately as said earlier it’s been flooded with the wet winter and up to now isn’t producing as well.
The complex is actually a stone quarry and the owners have spent allot of time and effort to make suitable pegs which do accommodate a wide fluctuation of water levels.
In previous years it’s been quite weedy and I’ve tended to fish close in to avoid the thickest of it, with the extra water it’s not quite as weedy at the moment.
There isn’t any stream or drain running into the lakes, the water is direct from the water table and it’s very clear.
A tenchfishers member fished it 2 years ago for a day and half and had over 100 tench for his efforts.
I’m fishing it at the end of this month with the tenchfishers and hoping that things improve. The tench seem to top out at 5lbs ish although I’d suspect there will be better although none have been reported on their Facebook page. Beware of Steve the fishery manager he can be prone to stretching the truth, but actually he’s a sound bloke. He can be contacted on 07960784764.
Cheers phil. When you say close in do you mean in margins on the float? And can you rake it?

It’s always worth taking a rake.
At the moment the shallower far bank (called the fingers) is under water, the near bank (between the larger specimen lake and match lake) is quite deep and shallows up as you cast further. There’s an old access track underwater along this side.
I normally take a deeper with me and find where the deeper weed starts then fish inside this line, it’s normally 15 / 20 yards out.
They do a ticket that covers from 5pm to dark, I use these to float fish usually at the furthest end of the specimen lake.

Back