• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

problems with feeder emptying to slowly

Steve Brand

HI I have not done much barbel fishing In fact today was only my third this season so far three fish from three sessions a two fish on the non tidal a blank on the non tidal and a single fish today on the tidal trent that Is.
I am having a few issues ie under gunned tackle, how to and how much to feed, where to cast, but one thing stood out today I used what I thought was a quite large cage feeder but the bait was obviously taking a long time to empty.
I was packing the feeder with 4mm pellets and capping It off with a stiffish fish meal method type mix but the pellets were really sticking in the feeder, I was putting the pellets In dry by the way.
Any tips on how to get the pellets to exit the feeder quicker would be appreciated.

Thanks In advance

HI I have not done much barbel fishing In fact today was only my third this season so far three fish from three sessions a two fish on the non tidal a blank on the non tidal and a single fish today on the tidal trent that Is.
I am having a few issues ie under gunned tackle, how to and how much to feed, where to cast, but one thing stood out today I used what I thought was a quite large cage feeder but the bait was obviously taking a long time to empty.
I was packing the feeder with 4mm pellets and capping It off with a stiffish fish meal method type mix but the pellets were really sticking in the feeder, I was putting the pellets In dry by the way.
Any tips on how to get the pellets to exit the feeder quicker would be appreciated.

Thanks In advance

Just mix the pellets in with your ground bait, don't over wet the mix and don't pack it in too tight at first. As the day wears on and you have fish feeding in your swim you can pack it tighter so it is released more slowly. Most of these problems are caused by over wetting the mix, especially if using method mix as it is much stickier than normal ground pellet or ground bait

I would soak the pellets for about 2minutes in water then drain all the excess water off. This should leave the pellets still intact but with a softer outside. These can be packed into the feeder without the needs for any groundbait.I sometimes do this with a 50/50mix of pellet and hemp aswell, never have a problem with the feeder not emptying or emptying on the cast. And like has been said I just alter slightly how hard I pack the feeder depending on conditions.

Feeder emptying

I would soak the pellets for about 2minutes in water then drain all the excess water off. This should leave the pellets still intact but with a softer outside. These can be packed into the feeder without the needs for any groundbait.I sometimes do this with a 50/50mix of pellet and hemp aswell, never have a problem with the feeder not emptying or emptying on the cast. And like has been said I just alter slightly how hard I pack the feeder depending on conditions.

I have not been soaking my pellets thinking being the damper they are the more likely they will stick In the feeder, not much flow on the trent where I fish and I keep reeling in with half a feeder full of pellets.
Was thinking of glazing my pellets with hemp oil to hopefully prevent them taking on water swelling and sticking In the feeder anyone got any thoughts on wether or not this might work or not.

On my recent Trent trip i used some of those korum block end feeders with 2mm and 4mm pellets(dry) and hemp in the feeder rather than my usual open end feeder approach with groundbait. You could tape up part of the feeder to adjust the release of pellets also.

Regards

Dave

Back