• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Braid??

Dave Smith 2

Hi Guys,
I will be taking a few weeks away from the River now due to the Missus due for having our first Child.
So now I will be looking into changing my fishing ways ect & Stocking up on more gear.
My Question is, What is the best Braid to go for out there to use for my hooklength?
Im going to start to use a braided Hooklength now due to losing my mono hooklength on the take numerous time in my last session!! Maybe down to the rocky bottom or a muscle bed.
My mainline is Daiwa Sensor 12lb Mono.

Thanks in Advance

12lb black amnesia combi linked to gardner trickster 15/20lb.

Gardener Trickster

Just changed to Gardener Trickster and up to now has been superb ,was using Fox delude which i found not good at all,strangley kept snapping just below anti tangle rubber even it snags i can pull out of quite easily with the trickster.
Regards and happy fatherhood. Paul.

amnesia wont cut thru, korda soft n trap coated with just the final 2-3 inches peeled back, finally a good sized dollop of good plasticine over your lead, this stops the lead getting stuck in the flinty or rocky bottom, lead comes back plasticine stays stuck on the bottom, tryit i all works

I've had a couple of breaks with Gardner Trickster so wouldn't recommend it. I use Sufix Camo Skin coated stripped (as suggested for other coated braids) for the final couple of inches at the hook end.

How was your right made up Richard. Interested to know where the break was. I generally use trickster in 25lb on my combi link and over the past 2 or 3 seasons never had a problem even after multiple Barbel. I have noticed a little fraying after its had a hammering but changed it soon after.

Hi Jon - just a simple hooklength in the 15lb variety and it tended to break anywhere along the length. It only happened a couple of times, granted, however I lost faith and went back to coated. It's difficult to determine what actually happened as the river I was fishing isn't at all rocky.

Back