Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Basics and Juniors Forum

Notices

Old 15-09-2016, 20:59

try Guru Grip mesh feeders they come straight to the surface when you reel in and hold well in the flow so wont roll into a snag
Old 16-09-2016, 21:18

Well , I went out last night , and didnt lose any feeders

I used the striking upwards technique on the retrieve , and it definitely seemed to help - although , I was fishing a new peg , so it`s possible it simply wasnt as snaggy as previous swims , I suppose - but I`m sure the method helped !

I`ll give the weak links a try aswell .

Thanks again for the help
Old 25-09-2016, 20:50

Default snags

colin its the name of the game on the ribble plastercine round your leads help but with feeders its luck on some swims but the advice you have been given will help,and cheaper option is make your own ,or shoplifting!
Old 26-09-2016, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gaskell View Post
colin its the name of the game on the ribble plastercine round your leads help but with feeders its luck on some swims but the advice you have been given will help,and cheaper option is make your own ,or shoplifting!
Thanks , Mark

Ive not lost any gear on my last 2 trips - so I think the advice is working
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55

I did a few tests in my garrage - just to make sure my line breaking strains were accurate . I`ve been using 12lb Diawa Sensor mainline and 10lb Korum Barbel line hooklink .

One thing I noticed was that my knots wern`t always as reliable as they should be . I found , under tension , the knot on my mainline was the weakest point Using 4 turn grinner knot by the way .

Now Ive corrected this - the last couple of snag-ups I`ve had , I`ve pulled for a break , and just lost the hooklink
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04

I don't rate the grinner for strength, palomar I've found the best or the trilene, though both of these require passing the line through the eye twice which is difficult with small hooks.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Perry View Post
I don't rate the grinner for strength, palomar I've found the best or the trilene, though both of these require passing the line through the eye twice which is difficult with small hooks.
Thanks , Rhys - I`ll try that .

Incidentally , Its either end of the swivel that I`ve been using the grinner - I just use a knotless knott and hair rig for the hook .
Old 12-10-2016, 13:14

Sometimes helps to have a weaker knot on the hook link so you've more chance of breaking just that in snags.
Actual breaking strains are all over the place which doesn't help, 10lb shimano cattana supposedly breaks at 14lb!
Old 13-10-2016, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Maddison View Post
I use the snag safe lead clips with the 6lb clip and if the feeder becomes snagged I just loose the feeder and still land the fish (most times)
I agree with what Graham said keeping the rod high when playing the fish and retrieving quickly to avoid snagging on the bottom.
Open and feeders will always rise quicker than cage feeders also, but won't bend like wire of coarse.
Been using these myself this year, and found them superb, plus if I do loose a feeder it doesn't bother me cause I make my own
Old 14-10-2016, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prince View Post
Been using these myself this year, and found them superb, plus if I do loose a feeder it doesn't bother me cause I make my own
Steve , do you use the small or the large clip ?

I`ve just bought some , myself . I did a few quick tests using a spring balance , and found the small one gives way at around 4lb , and the large one at around 10 .

What`s been your experience , in an actual fishing situation ?