Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Basics and Juniors Forum

Notices

Old 22-10-2016, 19:22

Another trip out this morning. There was a significant tempreture drop over night down to 4c. I arrived on the bank at 6.30 and the mist over the river have a limited visibility of around 6-8ft with the head torch which was needed through the copse.
I dropped my bait in the margin swim at 7am, no disturbance, nice and quiet and waited in silence while the sun came up. At about 8.30 with no so much as a tap it was now light enough to see what was down there. Answer, two small chub, less than 4lb. I watched for a while no barbel. The chub cautiously picking up the pellet and obviously ignoring the hook bait. Balls. I then removed myself from this swim and headed back up stream to a known barbel holding swim and repeated the same thing, although midstream not in the margin. 2 hour later, not a touch.

This got me thinking. If the chub are obviously dodging that hookbait it's got a red flag on it. Therefore it stands to reason Captain Barbel is doing the same, this helps explain why I never hooked the one the other day. These fish are used to seeing a bait and my presentation is obviously standing out. Bear in mind the alter is gin clear at present.

To remedy this I plan to switch away from the double 10mm bollies. To a lighter single 6mm pellet mated to a palltrax 16. Now I can understand the concern that a 16 may not be man enough but I'm not playing hook and hold, the clutch will slip before the hook straightens. These hooks are large 16s more like a 14 tbh and I'm well practiced at playing chub over 5 on 2-3lb bottoms and 18s. Basically I'm going smaller. The weeds dying back, the waters clear. I think that a more subtle approach will make a difference at least until the weather breaks.
Any suggestions on mating the smaller hook bait? I have concerns over super glue and it's scent.
Old 23-10-2016, 09:39

Stephen have you considered using maggots or casters during this low clear river spell?

I tend to tie a straightened size 18 or 16 barbed into the hair (through the eye) and a size 10 above.

You can bayonet a few maggots or casters and a couple of imitation ones floaters, to make it balance neutral in low flows.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:05

I managed a barbel of 6-7lb on hair rigged artificial maggots yesterday, but it's tough going right now.
Ref to Grahams comments, ...I also like to hair rig a bayonet fixed 6 mm mini boilie in these conditions.
After a recent failure with the roach, I'm seriously considering getting into pike mode until we get some decent rain!
Old 23-10-2016, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Elliott View Post
Stephen have you considered using maggots or casters during this low clear river spell?

I tend to tie a straightened size 18 or 16 barbed into the hair (through the eye) and a size 10 above.

You can bayonet a few maggots or casters and a couple of imitation ones floaters, to make it balance neutral in low flows.
I was sorta holding onto those for when it get really cold. In fairness though I've very little success with maggot and larger fish. Even a large bunch gets you tackered on the Stour. Come January on the maggot feeder my quiver tip is like zebedee as soon as it lands on the bottom. The straightened hook sounds promising because I tried the maggot clips and found them impossible to get on with, crushing the maggot on closure. I may go this way in a fortnight or so when the cold starts to settle in, if there's been no rain. Cheers for your help.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:56

Are you suggesting the same technique as Graham, Dave? To use a small straightened barbed hook as a spear to mount small boilies? Are they on there well enough that the Chub won't just pluck them off leaving an unbaited hook?
Old 23-10-2016, 12:40

Not quite the same,...copied this from one of my old posts.......

PS...Forgot to mention a well known tip I got from Bill Rushmer.
Small 6mm boilies can work really well, fished on a bayonet hair rig. Buy some cheap size 10 eyed hooks and cut off the bend, leaving the shank and eye,..do protect your eyes when doing this!.
I then tie the 'hook' onto some 5lb micro braid and then tie a knotless knot as usual. Position the eye of the 'bayonet' just below the bend as previously mentioned. The boilie is then just pushed onto the bayonet,..making sure to cover the eye.
As long as you don't use really soft baits the boilie stays on well.
Caught a club record Wey chub using this rig a few years back!
............. ............ ............ ............ .............

That was from a chub thread Stephen,...I up the braid strength for barbel of course. It's a rig that's worked well for me for both species.
I was going to give the Stour another go today,...but because its continuing to drop, coupled with a blustery east wind and bright sunshine ,...I'll polish my spoons and spinners instead!
Old 23-10-2016, 12:58

Dave. You should be tying up your pike traces and getting the herrings out of the freezer!

Great to meet up last Friday. And thanks for all your help and company.

Graham
Old 23-10-2016, 13:05

Likewise mate,...looking forward to next time and photographing you with one of those elusive 2lbers!
If I hadn't spent most of the day nattering I may have managed to get done 10 times by a pike instead of 5 !
Old 23-10-2016, 13:11

Your not alone there Dave, the temptation to bag some late season match size carp and silvers is quite high, the season of Stour blanks though is keeping me going through sheer determination and stubbornness. It would be lovely to find some barbel that aren't fished for so regularly that I could concentrate on. Throop is a popular fishery.
What I've been keeping under my hat a touch is the wife is now 6 months pregnant with our first. I'm expecting my bank hours to take a hit obviously. If I can't catch now with this amount of free time next year I'm going to really struggle...
Old 23-10-2016, 13:22

That's great news Stephen,...good luck with the sleepless nights!
There's lots of river to go at on both RDAA and CAC tickets,....good time to be looking at swims on unfamiliar stretches before the river colours up.
ATB Dave