Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Basics and Juniors Forum

Notices

Old 23-10-2016, 14:59

Cheers. Sleep? What's that? Haha. All part of life's journey isn't it and worth the suffering long term.
There are, some lovely waters. Sadly though the other one I want to get to know, Severals I can't park there anymore. "No commercial vehicles" I could park at the bottom but that's a 2 mile walk to the top end. North end farm holds some very big barbel but is according very difficult, not sure how it could be harder though to be fair...
Old 23-10-2016, 15:12

These look the ticket.
http://www.tackleguru.com/matchfishi...-bait-bayonets
Old 23-10-2016, 18:42

Exactly the same principle Stephen,...not sure how big they are?
The reason I use a fine wire 10 is because it won't split a 6mm boilie....well most of the time anyway!
Old 23-10-2016, 19:13

Not sure Dave BFL are Guru stockists and very helpful so I will go have a chat, need some more pellet anyway. If they are too big il make my own out of some fuse wire.
Old 29-10-2016, 13:59

I got out this morning. Slightly revised rig but not 100% what I want, sadly I didn't have time to get the bits this week.
So here's my current business end;

And the completed rig ready to cast;

No Barbel but a plump 5lb Chub;

So on to the further. I nipped into the tackle shop on the way back to see these Guru Bayonets. Not exactly what I thought. They are very small, about 8mm long and the diameter of the bayonet itself is quite thin, to thin to grip a drilled pellet. So I'm going to make my own. Floors to sand and paint though this afternoon sadly.
Old 30-10-2016, 17:24

I only use that rig for 6mm boilies , rather than risk splitting them with a baiting needle.
Going by your pics, you seem to be replicating the general idea ok.
I just made this rig up using a 10mm boilie,...ran out of 6mm's yesterday.
I would normally use standard hair rig for a 10mm and pellet

Well, a 5lb chub ain't all that bad is it?
Old 31-10-2016, 09:26

It's not, they go like stink at that size, sometimes better than the fat ones. Trouble is with Chub they're not Barbel, haha! It does at least prove some worth in the method though I spose.
Today I chosen to mix things up a bit. Firstly I'm on a venue I've not fished before. It's a known Barbel holding venue and it's deeper and darker than the clear shallows of Throop's Beat 2. I've perched myself 50 yards down from a boulder weir and I'm fishing a 1.5oz cage feeder stuffed with scalded pellet which I soaked in hemp water and krill extract which stinks, yum, to my double 6mm pellet bait. Fingers crossed il wangle out a few buttery Chelvin and you never know what could follow. Here's a photo of my swim.
Old 31-10-2016, 18:43

Well to put it politely the landing net wasn't required today. I've got a different stretch that I like to fish that il be spending the morning on Thursday, prebaiting on Wednesday. Not holding my hopes up for a Barbel but there's some fantastic Chub to be caught up there.
Old 10-11-2016, 19:48

Just to update this. I missed out on the prebaiting, ended up in the tattoo studio for six hours! Bit longer than I anticipated. The Thursday was another stinking blank, a 6oz Dace rattled a false alarm but that was that.
The temperature has really dropped over the last week, ground frosts most mornings.

The short days are killing week day opportunities. I'm on the bank Saturday, the pellets are staying at home and I plan a hemp and caster approach. Need a bit of encouragement as I've never managed to get through the silvers on this method in the past.
Old 13-11-2016, 09:57

In the search of improvement we must include our failure as openly and readily as our success. Yesterday morning was a failure.
I awoke at 5.30am for breakfast and to sort things out to arrive backside at 6.30am. Looking out the window revealed an accurate forecast, rain, sideways and lots of it. Despite the temptation to hide in bed I went out. So sticking to my plan as I found the river in the condition I was expecting, still low and clear, I set about introducing my bait. A pint of hemp followed by a pint of maggot, these were to be bait dropped in on the deeper run on the opposite bank. Two droppers in the dropper failed to open. Checked it over, no problems, recast. Hemp scattered across the water as the front snapped off. The pint of maggot had to be catapulted in.
I left my swim for an hour while I tied up a 2oz maggot feeder helicopter style with flourocarbon hook length and hair rigged maggot. First cast I was sure the tip would fizz, but it sat motionless. I recast every 20 minutes. The feeder scattering a mix of maggot and hemp. 3 hours in bite less I switched to a 3lb leader and a single maggot on an 18, just to prove there were fish there if nothing else. Still nothing. Not even a minnowed maggot skin. At this stages I decided to move. A known deep fluids under a bank side tree. Same.
5 hours, 0 bites. One broken bait dropper and I managed to crack a pole in my shelter too. Bad session.