• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hampshire meat trundlers...a plea

Anthony Pearson

This is a shot in the dark and at very short notice but....

I'm in Sway for a few days (returning to Leeds on Monday) visiting my parents and as such can't justify spending any time fishing (because it would be a chunk of time rather than an hour or two!). However, if anyone on the lower Avon or Stour who is a proponent of fishing rolling meat would be willing to show me how it's done, I'd be very grateful. I plan to come back later in the year and having fished a static bait previously on the Royalty (the done thing in the north) the returns were obviously not as good as they might have been. So, if you are planning a session and wouldn't mind company for half an hour (I'd clear it with the bailiff beforehand) to help a meat-rolling novice, I'd appreciate your input. I realise that people may not wish to give away their coveted swims but I'm not planning to see you catch fish, so feel free to demonstrate the art on a barren stretch (if they exist).

If by chance anyone is willing to do this, please pm me and I'll send my contact number by return.

Hi Anthony,

you just need to practice for about five years!

If I'm down when you are, I would be more than willing to show you the basics but it's a method that everyone does slightly different to everybody else. It has more to do with recognising what is a bite as they can be VERY subtle at times, at other times, they can be very confident. you just HAVE to practice.

Good luck with it,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff. I have had an offer from further afield but unfortunately return home tomorrow evening. I've seen the rigs/method on Youtube, but as I explained to someone else, there are always unanswered questions when watching a video that can be explained away on the river bank. I'll give it a go, once home and no doubt will be seeking advice on here when it goes pear-shaped!

On a different note, when I first got back into fishing and took up the pole, I spent half an hour with a total stranger on a commercial who very kindly showed me how to ship a pole/play a fish/ hold the pole at length etc. That was all I needed to get to grips with it (literally) and I was away. However, one trip to a Yorkshire river changed all that and these days the pole only gets a single outing each year for a charity match!

send me a pm when your down Anthony, i can show you what i know, we need rain though before its really worth it!

As Jeff said though, its a time spent thing, however one of the most important things is knowing the stretch your fishing. When rolling 90% of the time im holding the line ready to hit anything weird but the other 10% is when the meat is in a 'pick up point', during this im coiled up ready to strike, its knowing where these areas are and exploiting them to the max ensuring you hit as many plucks/pulls/smacks/wrenches/nibbles/sniffs as possible!

Back