• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A month in

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

Over a month into the season , me and Sue still not really found somewhere we feel happy with :rolleyes: , although Sue had the first fish from the Wark Avon last week . There are lots of things pulling us that effects our fishing , things we have to factor in and forced on us ( a foal coming along we did not know about for a start ) , so we have had a different start to the season than normal . I can feel it slipping away slightly , so we need to look hard at what we are doing !.

What would you change now to your fishing ?

Hatter

Would'nt change a thing Mark,..have a little faith, confidence is a very underated factor in our sport. The weather has made it a little difficult I reckon,..I know a few good barbel anglers who are struggling for a bite, but it will come good.
Good luck with the foal.
dt;)

Sometimes I think I should postpone my barbel fishing until very late summer/autumn when spawning is well and truly over and the river is a little fuller and a little more coloured. I generally find summer fishing for barbel (but more specifically daytime, unless I am on the Wye) hard and that I don't have the skills as yet to get some decent results. We often talk about the effect confidence plays in our fishing- whether it's bait, rigs etc. but for me, it's all about the light. During the summer it's hard to avoid fishing in daylight but I mostly feel I am killing time until it gets dark.

So a change for me would be to either focus on other species (or perhaps rivers other than the Kennet?) until autumn comes or put some real effort into being a better daytime angler.

I also had the intention of trotting more in the early part of the season- but I haven't so far. I hate myself.

I also had the intention of trotting more in the early part of the season- but I haven't so far. I hate myself.

What!..Where are all those nice pins that you've been snapping up Howard?
Give it a go mate,..could mean a gallon of those expensive southern maggots though! :D

My barbel fishing does'nt really start in earnest until Sept., too many other temptations.

Hi men ,

More than anything it other bits of life getting in the way :D. We have fished on the canal , and a local lake fishing on the top having a right laugh . It's we have left it late to decide on a stretch to fish , even a river :D , but that's one of our pleasures , taking time to stand and stare ;) . Our main problem is that we like to sight fish , so some nice bits are discounted , but we may have to have a second look !.

Hatter

I never fish after dark!!

If I can't catch during daylight I'm not interested.

Do I miss out by this decision?

No, last Sunday I had 4 Barbel from the same swim on a very difficult Hants Avon, topped by a 11.10:)

All fish caught between 11-1800hrs;)

Tactics, River Craft and Application of Bait are far more important than time of day:p

Keith, I would certainly love to spend more time fishing in daylight and then perhaps over time would develop a little more skill. Part of the issue I and perhaps many others face is finding time. Work and a young family often means that evening and late night fishing is the only option available and then over time with good results, it's easy to associate darkness with productive barbel fishing. I would also say that I now find night fishing for barbel pretty straightforward in terms of tackling up and and down, rig changes etc. and it's surprising how well your eyes adjust and how much you can actually see in the dark without the head torch.

Keith- perhaps you could share your top 5 tips or golden rules for successful daytime barbel fishing.

Anyway today, during daylight, I will mostly be on a boat trying to catch a Marlin from the deep waters around Madeira. Lots of whales are about bringing the tuna with them so who knows...

What!..Where are all those nice pins that you've been snapping up Howard?
Give it a go mate,..could mean a gallon of those expensive southern maggots though! :D

My barbel fishing does'nt really start in earnest until Sept., too many other temptations.

I have been very good Dave and used the Witchers for static barbel fishing and even managed a barbel on one. Hoping to use the Avon Elite in the coming weeks. Not a glass display cabinet to be found anywhere in the house.

Hi men ,

More than anything it other bits of life getting in the way :D. We have fished on the canal , and a local lake fishing on the top having a right laugh . It's we have left it late to decide on a stretch to fish , even a river :D , but that's one of our pleasures , taking time to stand and stare ;) . Our main problem is that we like to sight fish , so some nice bits are discounted , but we may have to have a second look !.

Hatter

It was sight fishing on the Arrow yesterday Mark, I dropped in on one of those many bends and they were flashing and smoking allright :eek: and to top it all a Barbel did a Salmon leap right at my feet, I am covered in nettle stings, but all worth it.
She looks in fine fettle, with shoals of Dace darting in and out of cover, just as I first saw the River years ago.

Canals are fine if you merely want to fish..;)

Anyway today, during daylight, I will mostly be on a boat trying to catch a Marlin from the deep waters around Madeira. Lots of whales are about bringing the tuna with them so who knows...

Howard,

I am very envious as fishing for marlin has been an ambition for many years.
May I wish you every success!

Regards

Hugo

Thanks Hugo-had a white marlin today! Magic, as the buggers are hard to hook up and we had three strikes and runs before we finally hooked this one. Safely tagged and then released. Madeira is one of the closest and best places in the world to catch them.

Howard,

I am very envious as fishing for marlin has been an ambition for many years.
May I wish you every success!

Regards

Hugo

Spent some good times in Madeira. Not fishing but the island has a hell of a lot to offer too.

Back