• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

shrewsbury

Leon Dodd

Hi all, I have a couple of days in Shrewsbury at th beginning of next week and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some day ticket fishing with a chance of a barbel or two, don't want specific pegs or owt, just stretches where I can buy a day ticket and be in with a chance.
My biggest problem is I will be in a Luton box van so need ample parking with no height restrictions. I realise this may be a lot to ask but if someone could give me some ideas that would be great.
PM if preferred, many thanks, Leon

Atcham, there is a long stretch run by the National Trust on the right bank. Day tickets from the shop at Attingham House, in Atcham, used to be £5. Parking is at Lower Brompton Farm, you get code for the lock on the gate when you get your day ticket.
Plenty of a Barbel & Chub on this stretch.

Thanks for that Micheal, sounds like it's worth a look. I like the sound of Sydney avenue as well, day tickets on the bank. I might do both ;-)

Hello Leon. I'm a voluntary bailiff for Shropshire Anglers' Federation and we control several miles of fishing around the town, including Sydney Avenue. The annual ticket is fantastic value at £35 per season. Day tickets can be purchased at our local tackle shop Total Angling (loads of stuff to spend your money in there) or on the bank by roving bailiffs. Take a look at the SAF website shropshireanglersfederation for further details. Total Angling also have a website and can supply all your bait and tackle requirements.

Unfortunately we have a price to pay for this glorious summer - yes, lack of rain means very low water and oxygen levels and we are currently experiencing high algae content in the river too. All these factors mean the barbel fishing is not easy - this applies all down the Severn at the moment. However, if you aint got a bait in the water you'll catch nowt!

Cheers for that Roger, the Sydney avenue fishery is one of your waters, it sounds inviting, so I may well be giving it a go.
Although I have to agree that the annual ticket is good value it's a three hour drive for me so I won't be making many trips but am working in Shrewsbury next week and should get a chance for a couple of short sessions, here's hoping, Leon

Back