• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aldi's

The LED has are ok. The lights is not as bright as a head torch, in fact it's nowhere near as bright as a head torch but it's fine for tying hooks and such like, even on a pitch black night time.

I wonder how good the new 'weatherproof' trousers are, could do with a pair of light over-trousers.

I wonder how good the new 'weatherproof' trousers are, could do with a pair of light over-trousers.

Bought 3 pairs last year but they don't seem the same as the one in the picture, but the ones I had are excellent, ideal for colder months, and keep out the rain unless you sit on the wet ground and it can wick.:eek: the elasticated waist is a bit iffy, they tend to over exaggerate sizes so if you are a 38'' like me get a 36''

I have a Aldi just up the road and the gear is Tat mostly, the glasses are OK according to Joe Fletcher :) and I have had the 'roving' bag for years and still going well.

Just why do these stores by cheap and nasty 'fishing' tackle? a lot of it is just not fit for purpose, kids getting into the sport will be the target market, not a good start I reckon. Argos is not much better, and you try getting a reasonable Barbel Rod from these pound shops :) There is a huge amount of ignorance regarding fishing tackle, I am sure the buyers don't have a clue, I don't expect top quality, but something at least on the lines of good old Woolies and their Kingfisher range.

God I have morphed into a Gauntlett :eek:

The LED caps for the price are excellent. I bought a dozen spare maxell batteries off flea bay for about 2 quid. Keeps the leds bright for ages. :)

The caps are pretty good. Enough light for rebaiting packing gear away in the dark etc. Got mine over a year ago and still on the original batteries and I have used it all through the winter.

The polarised glasses are ok as well, so are the T Shirts, as are the shoulder bags.

The trousers are not the lined ones they have had before which are brilliant. I think these may come up in Hiking offers or similar. As someone else said they are very generous on sizes so if they do appear again buy one size smaller. Wore mine for winter fishing and never had cold legs. As soon as you put them on you can feel the heat being retained. Look out for these appearing again if you fish in the winter.

After having a couple of days rock fishing in Anglesey ( float fishing ), i,m looking for a beach caster rod and reel, nothing too expensive as it will only be used 2, maybe 3 times a year, has anyone tried the sea rod and reel being sold in Aldi for 20 quid ? or does the old saying of buy cheap buy twice apply. :)

Derek, if you've got a Carp or Pike rod lying about use that instead. It will be better suited to floatfishing and give you better sport. just remember to rinse of your reel and rod fittings in fresh water when you get home or the salt will get to work on them

Hi Dave, i was using an 11ft carp rod and 5000 size reel, which were ideal for float fishing, but all we caught were small wrasse, looking for something to cast a lead with heavier line, hopefully to catch something bigger further out. :)

Hi Dave, i was using an 11ft carp rod and 5000 size reel, which were ideal for float fishing, but all we caught were small wrasse, looking for something to cast a lead with heavier line, hopefully to catch something bigger further out. :)

have a look at the Go Outdoors site, should find something to suit and it wont break the bank for sure

Back