• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hardest Game In The ?World

Ian Hugo Arnott

Some anglers might find fishing very easy, but if one suffers from arthritis and sciatica then it is somewhat painful.

Have just returned from a fish less trip to our local river, which was nevettheless totally fulfilling as kingfishers, owls, swallows and house martins filed the scene, which was crowned by a beautiful sunset.

Thank heavens for strong painkillers and a daughter to share the load.

Hugo

I'm definitely not one of those anglers you refer to Ian! But I suppose on some level that's part of the draw- learning and developing your craft. Suffering from arthritis and sciatica must make it doubly difficult so I take my hat off to you for getting down to the river and fishing, enjoying what it offers, even if that isn't fish!

Let's try and get a few hours on the Kennet before too long.

I sympathise with you Ian, I damaged a vertebrae at work and have been plagued with sciatica on and off for years. I find it difficult to stand in the river and trot a float all day long which was always my preferred method, but have adapted my fishing to suit.

Through ill health I have had to change my fishing completely also the amount that I do, I have gone from fishing a small quiet river to the Trent as I have found a couple of places with easy access, its a bit of a shock to the system as everything is heavier there are boats to put up with and swim choice is often governed by how steep the banks are, just part of getting/being older I suppose. Never give in Ian.

If anyone knows a reasonable stretch of the W Avon with good access I wouldn't mind giving that a go.

My wife is disabled and suffers with sciatica a prolapsed disc arthritis in her hips knees shoulders and hands. She has had many operations now to repair cartilage in her knees and there is very little left. They cannot give her new knees because of her rare condition (schmitz metaphase achondroplasia) so all she can do is take the strongest painkillers available usually morphine. She is joining me tomorrow on the trent with my dad and although she knows its going to be painful she knows she will enjoy it. She has packed her medication plus several stick on heat packs which she finds very good when on the bank.

Dave

My wife is disabled and suffers with sciatica a prolapsed disc arthritis in her hips knees shoulders and hands. She has had many operations now to repair cartilage in her knees and there is very little left. They cannot give her new knees because of her rare condition (schmitz metaphase achondroplasia) so all she can do is take the strongest painkillers available usually morphine. She is joining me tomorrow on the trent with my dad and although she knows its going to be painful she knows she will enjoy it. She has packed her medication plus several stick on heat packs which she finds very good when on the bank.

Dave

Wow Dave, that puts things into very sharp perspective. Really hope it's a great day for you all and you catch a few.

David, I truly feel for your good lady. Many of us have some of her ailments, so we know how painful they can be...but the horrendous cocktail of multiple issues your poor wife has must take suffering to a whole new level. She is one brave lady, and I hope she gets great pleasure from your family outing.

Cheers, Dave.

David, I truly feel for your good lady. Many of us have some of her ailments, so we know how painful they can be...but the horrendous cocktail of multiple issues your poor wife has must take suffering to a whole new level. She is one brave lady, and I hope she gets great pleasure from your family outing.

Cheers, Dave.

Thank you Howard, David and Ian. Jules is paying for it now but she never regrets a second spent on the river bank. Like me she love's wildlife and has respect for the countryside and place's she fish's, and isn't bothered when she blanks. Here is a couple she caught on our Trent trip.
DSCN0544.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

Regards
Dave

David-that's fantastic, it really is and enormous respect to your wife Jules.

Thank you Howard. It's frustrating for her when her knee's/hips go on her when she is out without me and an elderly lady/gentlemen helps her up, as she is just 41 and does not want to give in now as we have a son who is 4 and a real handful at the moment. We do have a laugh together and don't waste time arguing about trivial things, and try and stay positive about the future! :)

Regards
Dave

Sounds like you're just the man for her David, if only we all had such a fantastic outlook on life. The greatest respect to Jules for not giving in, it must feel like the world's against you when you have all that to deal with.
I really must try and stop arguing with my wife about trivial things, but I really can't stand silence (smiley face) !

Nick C

Back