• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge 2014

Mike Hodgkiss

Well it is that time of year when the cream of England and Lancashire's Ruffe anglers , battle it out to win the much coveted Tommy Ruffe shield , also up for grabs the equally prestigous Barbel challenge trophy . Venue as usual will be the Yorkshire Ouse at Newton on Ouse , date the 27th of September , fishing 1-7pm , with apres peche vittles at the Black Horse in Tollerton . Many thanks to Newton on Ouse AC for allowing us to book the stretch for the day . There is a nominal charge of £6 each angler to cover the day ticket and booking fee . This event is purely a fun / social event , it is not a match in any real sense of the word , no keepnets , pools and all that Malarky . The Barbel trophy goes to the biggest barbel caught on the day ,in the unlikely event of no barbel being caught then the biggest of any other species lifts the prize . Obviously the Tommy Ruffe shield goes to the captor of the biggest Tommy. Beware competition for this shield is fierce , skullduggery cannot be ruled out . There will be one or two other '' special ' prizes of an alcoholic nature to be announced . If you want to enter send me an E mail at mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com , please don't PM me . Entry will be restricted to 20 anglers ,so as Fred Laker used to say '' book early !'' . I look forward to hearing from you all . As previous attendees will testify this is a great fun day out , in pleasant surroundings . If you want to eat after the event then let me know so we can book tables at the pub

Looking forward to it if only to have my last proper pint before Oktoberfest the next day!

I'll be there, as ever.

This year I'm going for the most jet-lagged angler award as I'm only back from San Francisco on the Thursday. Best make sure my bite alarm's turned up load, methinks!

One thing, I thought the Tommy Trophy was awarded to the captor of the *most* Tommys?

R.

Controversy already. Surely the use of a bite alarm negates any capture on that rod unless said alarm is in the form of a Speedia, you'll be fishing for puddle pigs next!

Unfortunately lads I cant make it this year:( Dont get back from Padstow till saturday night:mad: Enjoy yourselves;)

I'll be there, as ever.

This year I'm going for the most jet-lagged angler award as I'm only back from San Francisco on the Thursday. Best make sure my bite alarm's turned up load, methinks!

One thing, I thought the Tommy Trophy was awarded to the captor of the *most* Tommys?

R.

I bought the trophy , I make the rules .:D This year I think I will modify slightly and go for the best looking Tommy Ruffe , in my opinion of course . There may be a separate prize for most tommies caught , I will give it some thought . Bite alarms are banned , jet lag or no jet lag :D

I bought the trophy , I make the rules .:D This year I think I will modify slightly and go for the best looking Tommy Ruffe , in my opinion of course . There may be a separate prize for most tommies caught , I will give it some thought . Bite alarms are banned , jet lag or no jet lag :D

You did best looking gudgeon already!

I reckon I'll have to wrap the line round my big toe then, and hope the carp don't put in an appearance!

R.

All gudgeon are good looking . Nobody wants to see your big toe with a bit of braid wrapped round it . Use your centrepin and put the ratchet on :D

What's a bite alarm?

Just had a chat with the Greek lad and we would love to participate.You never know,it may be Robins year.....

I've got thousands of worms in my compost bins, may I draw my peg now to start a pre-baiting campaign?

See you all there :) this stretch is a lovely place to be, will be interesting to see what condition our rivers are all in by then

I remember one place on the Ouse that was stuffed full of Ruffe (and eels) back in about 2010. I wonder if it is still the case.

Quite excited by this event. For all the other rivers I have fished that are more productive, you really can't beat the Ouse for mystery and optimism. Looking forward to being back home!

Entries for the 9th Ousemeister challenge are coming in steadily . Confirmed so far Jonathan Robinson, Spiros Papaglimis,Mike Joyce, Ken Jones , Robin '' chancer'' Bowes , Dave Maddision ,Mark Dyer , Greg Mellor,Gavin Hoe - Richardson , Mike Lowrence and myself , 11 in total , so 9 places remain .

After much consideration the final prize categories are :Shield for biggest barbel [ or biggest specimen of any other species if no barbel caught ]. Shield for biggest looking Tommy Ruffe , I refuse to put such a glorious fish through the indignity of weighing , judges decision , i.e. mine is final ! . Bottle of JD for the best looking gudgeon [ there will be a 'special ' judge appointed to make this determination on the day ] and finally a prize ,as yet to be determined for the biggest barbel caught on a cane rod . In addition there is the usual magnum of Bollinger for the biggest Burbot .So bring your cameras and scales along . Cheats will be punished in a manner determined by his fellow anglers :D

Back