• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Xpert Line And Braid?

John Cook

Hi All,

Has anyone used the bulk spools of Korum Xpert Mono? It Looks ok and is a nice price......Also the Xpert hooklink braid?

Be Lucky

Apologies for resurrecting a nearly 2 year old thread, but as no one else responded...

I am about to be gifted (well, for a donation to a chosen charity) a selection of the bulk 1000m mono spools, as well as the green and brown braid, both in 10lb. Unwanted second place competition prize that someone at work won.

I was planning on going for Big Game (as per my thread in the basics forum), but this seemed like a good way to both save (a LOT of) money and test the line in several situations.

Although there isn't a massive amount of in-use coverage about either the mono or the braid (that I've found, at least), what there is is very positive. And, whilst I'm not really a tackle tart (I don't think I've got, or have ever had, any matching stuff), I DO like most of Korum's products.

I shall report back in a few months!

I have to say, Korum Xpert is the best line I have used and I have used a lot, and often going back to Maxima, then Maxima lets me down again, I have flirted with them all or at least it seams like all, but I have to say, its the best, its low diameter in the higher weights is great for flood water fishing, its knot strength is un believable, its a great colour, its limp and soft to the touch, and most importantly its very abrasive resistant, I say this a s a barbel fisherman not as a Korum employee or consultant, I have nothing to gain from this, as far as braid is concerned my vote goes to ESP sink link at 15 or 18 pound. A superb combination

Thanks Lawrence - encouraging words indeed.

I've been asked to donate a fiver to the gifter's chosen charity (a local end-of-life hospice), for what amounts to about £70-80 worth of line and braid (based on Real Rip-off Prices anyway).

Think I'm gonna double that fiver...

I have used the korum Xpert line for both mainline and hook link and cannot fault it...I keep wondering why so cheap and there surely must be something wrong with it, and then just conclude the other lines must all be massively overpriced!
Have no idea why a lot of the korum stuff is not more popular/highly regarded ...guess it must be a fashion thing

the Korum Xpert line is one of those ones that has slipped under the radar, it is outstanding value and if you didnt know by its label you would assume it was a more expensive line, little stretch and one of the main things is that it doesnt appear to deteriorate after a few uses, or show any chaffing, its amazing value for sure and knocks the other bulk spool stuff like sensor into a cocked hat.

...guess it must be a fashion thing

I think you've hit it on the head there, Alan.

None of their stuff will win any beauty pageants when going up against most of their competitors, but it is, for the mostpart, well made, well thought out and very good value for money. As I've said, I'm in no way a tackle tart, but Korum (and Mitchell with their reels) is one I keep going back to for all sorts.

They're not totally without fault, mind - most of their tackle boxes are rubbish, the older specimen landing nets are infamous for collapsing unexpectedly (how many times have I read the comment "it's not a case of 'if', but 'when' "), and some of their luggage items are a bit iffy, and make you wonder if they were thought up late at night after a few shots in the pub, especially when you compare them to other luggage they do.

But then I don't think any tackle manufacturer is 100% perfect.

I must admit the Korum line sound very decent and at a good price. But i was wondering if anyone has, or is using, Fox soft steel or the Diawa hyper Sensor and is the Korum line better?

thanks
Stephen

I must admit the Korum line sound very decent and at a good price. But i was wondering if anyone has, or is using, Fox soft steel or the Diawa hyper Sensor and is the Korum line better?

thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen, i started using the hyper sensor last season. Had no problems with it, smoother and thinner than the old sensor, i,ll carry on using it this coming season.

The Fox soft steel used to be a great line a few years back when it first came out, but as with so many lines, it has gone through several 'improvements' since then. The first issues came when the brought out the camo version, which had nowhere near the same B/S for the same diameter as the original, and then the standard stuff became harder to locate, so I gave up on it. I see now that it has been 'improved' again, and apparently is better than ever :p. Could be true, who knows?

Not much help I know, but just my experience.

Cheers, Dave.

I was warned off Fox Soft Steel Camo (and Berkley Nanofil) only a few weeks ago, for the very same reasons that Dave said above, by a couple of carpers, and one of them pointed out that bulk spools of Camo tend to be given away free with a quite a few reels, and also as part of carp starter packs - "there IS a reason for that", one of them said.

I can't vouch for its current quality, nor can I confirm either way about Hyper Sensor, as I've never used Daiwa line in any iteration other than brown Sensor (which I never got on with). Sorry.

I'm picking up the Korum line and braid sometime this week so, whilst it'll be another few weeks before I'll actually be using it, I can at least add to Lawrence's comments and report back on what it feels like in the hand and its breaking strains.

Hi Stephen, i started using the hyper sensor last season. Had no problems with it, smoother and thinner than the old sensor, i,ll carry on using it this coming season.

Bought some Sensor Hyper and i agree with Derek it seems better than the old sensor which i used without any problems in the past up to 12lb (15lb seemed a bit springy). I have looked at the Korum line which also seems fine, and was thinking of using it on other spools but i can only find it in green. Nothing against green line, but was wondering if it came in a darker colour like brown for instance? Going to stick with braid for a hook-length and may use Lawrence's suggestion this season.

Thanks

Stephen

When to the tackle shop today to buy some Korum xpert but only had it in 10lb.

They tried to sell me some Korum Touchdown I don't know If that's as good.

I have also looked at ESP Syncro xt as anyone tried this line?

Okay, so I took delivery of the line last Friday. There is:

6, 8, 10 and 12lb XPert 1000m bulk spools;
4, 5 and 6lb Korum Reel line in 150m spools (I believe this line has been discontinued);
10lb XPert Power braid in green and brown (50m each). Apparently there was supposed to be a green and brown in the 15lb braid included as well, but they were never sent.

So, all in all about £70-80 worth of line and braid.

Obviously I've yet to actually use it, but based on initial findings I can echo Lawrence's comments about the XPert line on page 1 - limp, soft to the touch, relatively low diameter, knot strength seems very good indeed (tested with mahseer, palomar and grinner knots) and it's very supple.

The Reel line, to be honest, does not seem all that different. Slight colour variance aside (the Reel line is pale green, opposed to the XPert's dark matt green), the 6lb looks and feels exactly the same as the 6lb XPert. Similarly, knot strength is good using the same knots noted above.

The braid I can't really say too much about, as I have NEVER used braid before, so I cannot make any comparisons. It's definitely soft and supple, and knot strength seems to be as good as the mono. I am concerned that it's very cotton-like when frayed or not cut cleanly which makes me wonder if its claimed abrasion resistance is a bit of an exaggeration, but that may well be the case for many other braids.

In any case, first impressions for all are very good indeed and, for a £10 charity donation, I have zero complaints and a stash of line that should last me at least a couple of seasons.

Further report to come in a few weeks...

Useful thread this, I've recently purchased new reels for this season and need to renew my line, I've gt some Adrenaline in 10lb but not enough, might give the Korum stuff a go see how I get on

The 10lb stuff will land you trees, very abrasion resistant....Put onto it for my son by Dai Gribble.

Probably not worth agonising over what lines what hooks what ever, it won't put more fish on the bank, just keep it simple, all this hype is pointless, Barbel or any other fish are not that fussy, just find a few fish, if you can, that's the trick.

But Neil if you can find them and hook them you want to be able to land them so i think that lines and hooks etc are important Matey.

But Neil if you can find them and hook them you want to be able to land them so i think that lines and hooks etc are important Matey.

Yes matey agreed, but I don't obsess over what is the best line hook rod and reel either, and on the odd occassion I manage to meet up with a Barbel I can't recall losing the thing to tackle failure. My knots has failed once or twice, and that's the rub, that is far more important than anything else we do. Lets face most modern tackle that is designed to do the job do it well enough, be it Drennan, Korda, Gardner or whoever.

Back