• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic oil home made !!!

Steve Brand

Had a few fish on garlic flavoured pellets so I thought why not boost my pellets with some garlic oil,make your own garlic oil I thought cant be that difficult to infuse some oil of choice with fresh garlic.
Take my advise and DO NOT TRY THIS WHATEVER YOU DO !!!!!! you could end up being poisoned and possibly poison the fish you are seeking as well.
Buy some garlic oil from the supermarket as this Is treated to prevent contamination and apparently Is safe for humans and as far as I can tell fish as well.
If you dont belive me do a google search for MAKING HOME MADE GARLIC OIL It makes for pretty worrying reading.
It does make you think about the risks involved In producing your own baits, dips, and pastes etc.
Apparently vegetable oils can go rancid quiet quickly[as little as 3 months] and does not show any signs that are obvious that there Is anything amiss.
Using dried garlic appears to be ok for oil infusion but dont quote me on that as far as I am concerned as mentioned buying the oil ready made from reputable suppliers would be the safest option.
The possibility of contamination from BOTULISM IS NOT WORTH RISKING however small!!!!!

Just buy garlic essential oil...it is so potent you only need a couple of drops per six egg mix (roughly a kilo) for boilies, so that should tell you how much to use for what you want. And it won't go rancid if it is quality pure EO.

Cheers, Dave.

Interesting piece this as I was banned from the 3ft twitch bait page for questioning the baits one of which was home made garlic olive oil , where the instruction was to use a garlic bulb split into cloves and peeled and just put in a bowl of olive oil and leave . just one of the dodgy things they do that they wont accept is wrong . I use garlic infused olive oil in my mixes and buy bottles from Tesco for about £2

Garlic oil

Just buy garlic essential oil...it is so potent you only need a couple of drops per six egg mix (roughly a kilo) for boilies, so that should tell you how much to use for what you want. And it won't go rancid if it is quality pure EO.

Cheers, Dave.

Did as you suggested and postmen delivered today the bottle seemed intact but I could smell the garlic when the jiffy bag hit the mat.
Had to take it straight in to my tackle shed and its now wrapped [sealed] In very heavy plastic bag In triplicate if it stops the slugs crawling over my gear In the shed that will be a bonus;).
Looked out and postmen was sitting In van looking rather upset If his van stinks like my shed he will be In for some fun time for a while:D

Did as you suggested and postmen delivered today the bottle seemed intact but I could smell the garlic when the jiffy bag hit the mat.
Had to take it straight in to my tackle shed and its now wrapped [sealed] In very heavy plastic bag In triplicate if it stops the slugs crawling over my gear In the shed that will be a bonus;).
Looked out and postmen was sitting In van looking rather upset If his van stinks like my shed he will be In for some fun time for a while:D

Yes, it IS potent stuff. It usually comes in a small glass bottle with an eye dropper type screw on top. That bottles is then placed inside a hard plastic snap-on lid tub, with tape around the lid, and that in turn is sealed in a zip top polythene bag. I hung mine in my garage, with an extra bag to help, but you could still smell it before you opened the door :D I believe it has been responsible for more than one divorce over the years :p

Cheers, Dave.

Back