• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tyson , the fishing dog

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

To all of those who have met the lovely fishing dog Tyson ( there are lots that did ) , he is no longer with us :( . Where possible he went fishing everywhere with me and Sue , often sleeping overnight on the sleeping bags in the back of the car , and was seen on the banks of the Kennet , st Pats , loddon , Wye , Teme , Severn , Thame , arrow, Ouse , and Teme . He reached the rare old age of 19 , last of the pack of 4 we had , will miss you fella , but what a great life you lead !.

Hatter , check out the profile pic .

Sad news indeed bud.

That's really sad Hatter for you and Sue- tough times. Loved the photo of him I saw on FB, sat proudly on the fishing chair.

It's horrible when they go. Condolences, Mark. nineteen, eh? That's some ripe old age for a dog.

What make and model was he?

Sorry to hear it Mark, I know that they're part of the family. Good age though, we've not had a lab or retriever go past 12.

We recently had a three month break with no dog, got another one just about trained up now. She'll soon be on the bank with me.

Hi men ,

Yes it's sad , but we know he had a great life . Bit of history of our dogs . We had 4 jacks all at the same time . Deano , Mac , Joey , and Tyson , the first two were brothers , the last two were sons of Deano who we breed with a local fantastic rough haired jack . Tyson was last dog in , last one standing , and overall we had 25 years with them . He was the runt of the last litter and we was not going to have him as 3 was a handful , but believe me 4 was "challenging" :D . They all went past 13 , mac reaching 16 , must be the food as often they eat what we did :D .

As they left us one at a time it left the little fella , meaning he started to come with us fishing where the stretch / club allowed . He was a delight to fish with , very soon found out that the unhooking mat was the place to be . Hated nettles , and when me and sue made swims ( we do on most stretches we fish ) we made his little bit first :) . He was the topic of conversation out on the bank , with many anglers stopping to chat about him rather than walking on bye !. True fishing dog .

Great memories , Hatter

So sorry to hear that mate, I have met the little fella once, and any loss of your companion is a huge loss, I should know, but as you have done you have to think of the great, no fantastic life you gave him, and he lives on in every nook and crannie you were to be 'found' or rather 'lost' fishing.:)

Oh I do love a Jack Russel.

Never had one of our own - we had a Norfolk Terrier - but we used to have one come and stay once a year when his owner went on holiday. At least I think he was (mostly) a Jack. He'd had a bit of a hard-knock life, bless him, and prior to my missus mate taking him in, I think he may have been a mistreated. It showed in his character as he hated being alone, which was quite demanding and frustrating in itself. He also didn't have an "Off Switch". "Hyper" is an understatement!

However, Bailey absolutely loved me. No soon as I'd sit down and give him the nod, up he'd jump and in five minutes flat he'd be zonkoed.

Considering he'd had what my missus euphemistically calls an "Up hill paper round" he was remarkably trusting. But then I think dogs can spot someone who's gonna be nice and he knew full well I was putty in his paws, despite him being a bit highly strung.

Just of of interest, do you think he was a pukka Jack, Mark?

Hi men,

Hard to say Hayden , but we know the parents of our first , and the parents of the bitch we breed with to end up with Tyson , farm dogs :D , and Jacks always look like a bit of all terriers , but colour , markings and size etc all of them were as close as you could get .

All this old wives tales about them being snappy etc is rubbish . Our first , Deano , was trained to a really good level , and very clever . As we got more we trained them less as they all followed suit !. For example ... When we were eating we could say "don't stare " and Deano was trained to look away !. We never taught the other 3 , but they also would look away !. Mind you when they did kick off it was testing to separate them :D

Hatter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi men ,

Yes it's sad , but we know he had a great life . Bit of history of our dogs . We had 4 jacks all at the same time . Deano , Mac , Joey , and Tyson , the first two were brothers , the last two were sons of Deano who we breed with a local fantastic rough haired jack . Tyson was last dog in , last one standing , and overall we had 25 years with them . He was the runt of the last litter and we was not going to have him as 3 was a handful , but believe me 4 was "challenging" . They all went past 13 , mac reaching 16 , must be the food as often they eat what we did .

As they left us one at a time it left the little fella , meaning he started to come with us fishing where the stretch / club allowed . He was a delight to fish with , very soon found out that the unhooking mat was the place to be . Hated nettles , and when me and sue made swims ( we do on most stretches we fish ) we made his little bit first . He was the topic of conversation out on the bank , with many anglers stopping to chat about him rather than walking on bye !. True fishing dog .

Great memories , Hatter
A nice story Mark :)

Sorry to hear of your loss Mark, cant be easy. Wish I could take my dog fishing but club doesn't allow dogs:mad: and that was one of the reasons I got him in the first place.

My wife is currently trying to persuade me to get another dog and reading your fond memories of Tyson has tipped the balance Mark. They really are great companions. RIP Tyson.

Nick C

Sad news indeed mark, sorry to hear that. I love spending time on the banks with my jack, great at getting into all the nooks and kranies finding new swims. I wish I could take him fishing but he really doesn't do sitting quietly! If he isn't in the edge of the river splashing about he's dropping a stick 6ft away then barking till I go throw it for him, good at digging steps though!

Hi Mark,my Springer always looks away when I'm having my dinner although he's not trained to do that(or much else really) I put it down to sulking!!!

Back