• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power Pro Super 8 Slick?

John Cook

Hi All,

Been a user of power pro mainline braid for many years now and was wondering if its at all worthwhile going over to the super 8 slick version? If you take long casting out of the equasion are there any real benefits in changing? The colours look a bit iffy suppose the brown version is the one?

I've been using the brown slick 8 for the past couple of seasons john, to be honest its no great advancement over the normal powerpro, but does zip through the rings a bit smoother and the brown blends in nice to silty/dark bottoms.

Been using it for a few years - smoother through the rings. Use the timber brown, but the depth of colour can vary from light to dark brown. A marker pen puts it right for the next few sessions.

Thank you Lads,no real benefits for me so will stick to the old faithful:)

Its a country mile better than the old stuff. If i went back to it would be like going back to silk..

In what way Jon? Casting aside Matey...

Smoother. Knots twice as good. Rubbish doesnt stick to it as much. 3 times the longevity. Had mine on since it came out and still going strong. Ps always use a leader with braid as it has virtually no abbrasion resistance.

Thank you Jon for that info...Is it still a neutral density braid like the old stuff? Are you using the brown version?

Never fished with braid, are the benefits as good as people say ?
What length of leader do you suggest using Jon ?length of the rod and a few wraps on the spool ?

I use 6 to 7 foot of leader. Yes timber brown. Unsure why you need neutral density? Is it because you use back leads on slow rivers? Not sure on that as its irrelevant for fishing the TT.
To me its better. To others its a world of pain. But i do a lot on the trent and that suits me. As i have said always use a leader. People who dont are irresponsible imo and they probably know that. Sorry for the soap box there.

Thanks Jon, will give it a go I think, but will practice on some carp before I go on the river !!

Yes Jon if i am using 2 rods on a smaller river i like to sink the braid to try to avoid a hooked fish fouling the other line.....

Why because of its sinking qualities?

Pretty sure most braids are slightly buoyant or should i say trapped air gives the buoyancy. Simply treat with some fairy liquid does the trick.

Totaly agree with Jon. I spooled up with super slick 8 on jons recommendation on another forum. For bigger rivers stronger flows I think it's fantastic stuff, but always use in conjunction with a heavy mono leader. For smaller rivers x-line all the way.

Might spool up a couple of spare spools with Bullet sinking braid for when i use 2 rods....

Back