• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tidal Trent fishing

Ash Morton

Hi guys, wondering people's thoughts on tide tides and captures and how they time their short sessions to fall around tide times?

I've fished the tidal on and off over the years and noticed that most of my bites came on the "run off" and did quite a few overniters were the tide was wrong and found prime time on dark not produce until the tide had stopped/running off later in the night or whenever it fell, well I tend to only fish tidal mostly now short sessions usually teatime until an hour or 2 into dark, the problem is I try to time my sessions so that high tide is around teatime so I get a good 6 hours of prime tide running upto and after dusk, thing is do any of you guys catch low-high ( filling up) on dusk? Am I missing a trick by timing my odd trick cos the tide doesn't fall well that often how I like it and feel like going tidal sometimes for a change but wrong tide puts me off?

Since the Tidal Trent spends most of its time running off it's not surprising that coincides with the majority of captures. In my experience each tide runs off for around 9hrs and backs up for roughly 3 hrs but that will of course vary with distance from sea, size of tide and flow. I've found colour in the river and time of day more important than tide state.

Back