• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

two rod set ups

Steve Brand

Whats the best way to set up with two rods to avoid tangles and minimise problems landing fish.
I normaly fish one rod targeting barbel and the other rod as a more general rod set up with multi species In mind to catch pretty much anything that swims, well thats the plan anyway.
I am fishing the non tidal trent around South Muskham, would the barbel rod be best fished up or down stream?:)

Fish one short and the other long. Short rod upstream....

I know a few guys who only fish two rod swims, and have seen them walk past the best barbel swims because they can't fish both rods. Daft or what?:eek:

One rod fishing upstream and one down if the swim allows. It's surprising how many bites come to the rod where you wouldn't usually put a bait.

Edit. Didn't read where you're fishing :eek:. Still fish the same way on the Thames which I suppose is sort of like the Trent, but less fish :). Downstream on the inside, and upstream long with a big bow.

Same for me one downstream or across and one upstream, but i like to clip on a backlead at the rod tip to try to avoid lines crossing at rod tip area....

Both on the same line, feeder or pva bag regularly casted on the one upstream allowing the feed to feed both rods

I like to fish both on the same line. Usually 1 bang out in front then the other downstream. Quite often though with the snaggy swims i fish 1 rod is the more sensible option as i only tend to fish 2 if there is enough open water and not many snags.

Dave

Hugo,I can understand you holding your rod while you're fishing,but holding it at other times is usually considered a social faux pas.Especially by the ladies for some reason....

One directly across, usually with a feeder. The other one with a lead (and often a bigger bait) downstream varying distances between 5 and 25 yards. Fishing the feeder rod across rather than upstream allows you to loose feed or ground bait easier, by throwing it upstream. Not so easy to loose feed like that in the Trent though.

Back