• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

head torch

Andrew Burt

I've never done a lot of fishing in the dark preferring to retire to the pub after sunset but recent results have seen me on the bank for extended periods after dark. Although I have several head torches and other lights occasionally I would like more light sometimes focused for baiting up etc or sometimes to help net a fish or simply help me admire it so I'm looking to purchase something better. Any recommendations?

:)All the above are great lights, but, if your lucky, and quick, get yourself down to Aldi, they had 3 watt cree headlights about a week ago, for £7.99. :) If theres none on display, always ask a shop assisstant, sometimes they still have some in the storeroom. The lights are super bright, with a focus-able beam, spot or flood. Be lucky :)

or if you want mega bright :eek::D:eek::D:eek:

4000LM 3x CREE XM-L T6 LED Focus Headlamp Headlight Zoom Head Torch Light Lamp | eBay

I too tend to avoid night fishing as I've caught very few barbel in the hours of darkness and I never feel comfortable crawling around the bank at night. However for the odd hour or so I do fish into dark I've had one of them little Gardner ball type headtorches for a couple of years now and I love it. It's nice and small with just a single elastic head strap and it comes with a flip on/off red filter so the bank isn't dazzled with bright white light. I'm assuming they're still available however I've not really noticed any on the shelves?

I've just bought one of these after them been reccommended,

LED Lenser H7R.2 Headlamp 300 lumens (Rechargeable)

No more changing batteries, 300 lumens seems abit much but be good through winter for driving boat in after dark and packing boat away when piking, and can be dimmed right down for normal discreet use,

Had a petzl tikka+ for years and nice and compact but do alot of after dark fishing so forever changing batteries

I like the Energizer ones, lightweight, waterproof, pretty cheap and a broad range of lumens/features. I've got one in each car and one in my fishing bag.

Cree, Zoom, 2 x red, 1x green, 1 x blue standard sized LEDS.
Alpkit Manta in various colours £14 ish.
manta.jpg

I have the same as Bob just not quite the same jazzy colours. Excellent headtorch.

Clive can you get dark colours?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will go for the Alpkit Manta as recommended by several. Seems great value and gets good reviews on some serious hiking and climbing sites so should be up to the rigours of the Avon. if I need more light there are some other choices but for the money it has to be worth a go. 120 lumens and more battery life than my Ruben Heaton 9000's (only joking they are still fine).:)

Dont shout to loud Andrew:(

Mines a camo brown.

Hi Clive,

I saw a petzl model that i liked the look of so i ordered one, hope i dont regret it....

Can,t understand why people pay £30/£40 for petzl,s, when there are much cheaper lights that do the job just as good, if not better. :rolleyes:

Back