• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stove

Pete Goodwin

With winter coming I'm looking for a stove. I'd like something lightweight and compact so first thought is a jetboil of some variation, does anyone use one of these or would you recommend anything else?

Thanks,

Pete.

Original Jetboil works fine for me for hot drinks. Bit limited for anything other than boiling water or food that yYou boil in a bag. Very compact though. Had a problem with the larger jetboil stove (helios model) which failed after two uses and is yet to be replaced/refunded by Blacks camping shop.

Standard Jetboil works just fine for me. Pretty quick to boil water and not overly heavy on the gas. For longer session fishing I add the sauce and frying pan.

fox do a great one about £25 I used it all summer. very light packs down to nothing

fox do a great one about £25 I used it all summer. very light packs down to nothing

If you like the Fox stuff, do an ebay search for "Fire Maple". They might have twigged by now, but a while back it was about half the price of the stuff with Fox branding.

Hi I'm thinking more the fire maple now rather than the jetboil as it seems the jetboil is more for just boiling water. I've seen the fire maple on ebay for £70inc 2xgas canisters just one quick question of the fire maple users out there is is the gas readily available, ie are they a universal fitting?

Been using a Bulin T4 i got off ebay the other year excellent so far. Got the adaptor so i can use the cans instead of the much dearer/heavier primus canisters.

try a kelly kettle, keeps you warm, good for cooking and can boil a kettle in 2-3 minutes and costs nothing to run, in wet orrible weather remember to tke some firegel to fire it up along with som dry wood, once its going just dry any local wood out by keeping it around the stove and a bit on the top,:)

Spot on John.

You can also use the Kettle base as a cooker, I have used mine to make fryups, toast, tea, soup,in fact a full meal can me prepared, my Kelly is "sort of "well used now, and showing its age, but still works as well as the day I bought it.

And I have never ever had to shell,out for fuel .

Mentioned it before, but will again, the flue of a Kelly just nicely fits a Coca Cola bottle inside,fill the Coke bottle with water so you can carry roughly twice as much as the Kettle holds.

Dave

I've been using one of these (or rather the older version) for nearly 8 years without any problems. I don't bother with the Coleman fuel - I just use unleaded with a drop of reddex. Light, robust, quick boil time and cheap to run.

Coleman - Unleaded Feather™ Stove

The only down side is smell of petrol can stay on your hands after priming, not what you need before baiting-up. I've got round this by putting a disposable latex/vinyl glove on the hand I use to prime the stove, if you buy them in bulk they only cost 3-4/p each.

Be warned though, if someone drops into you swim for a cuppa, they get a bit unnerved when they first see you putting a latex glove on your right hand!

Hi I'm thinking more the fire maple now rather than the jetboil as it seems the jetboil is more for just boiling water. I've seen the fire maple on ebay for £70inc 2xgas canisters just one quick question of the fire maple users out there is is the gas readily available, ie are they a universal fitting?

Jetboil is more versatile than you've been lead to believe. Put the pan support on it and it'll fry or simmer just as well as any gas stove.

Back