• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Hinders Elips.

Followiing the demise of the old elips pellets Hinders are now doing a 'new' elips pellet. It is a new shape, more pellet than elips shape, but apparently uses the same recipe.
Has anyone tried it yet ? I was wondering if the new recipe has the same barbel catching abilities as the old pellet.

Neil, just rub them on a bit of sandpaper to get a flat side. :) If your really stuck, ive got a few of the old ones, P.M. me your addy and i,ll send you a tub for hookers. :) I think there 10 maybe 12 mm. :)

Hi Derek,

Like the sandpaper idea plus I have a couple of kilos in the deep freezer, so hookbait wise I'm fine ;-)

And thanks for the offer!

Regards,

Neil

I've stored Hinders mega betains in the freezer for 4+ years and still caught on them. Just take a handful from the freezer as I need them.

In the freezer, I keep then in old ice cream tubs. 2 KG of Hinders large elips lasts me two years, so on buying, a kilo goes straight in the freezer, to be used the following season.

Strange that they're still referring to them a the Elips when they merely look cylindrical - presumably then giving no discernible advantage over normal halibut pellets? In my view, it was that shape that gave them the edge, as I tend to loose feed by hand. Thanks Hinders!

Does anyone know of any other suppliers of elips-shaped pellets. Now T7 have gone and Hinders have collectively lost their minds, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Hi men ,

Funny I thought there was some discussion to weather these pellets would be available in the future , as the company were stopping production of this shape of pellet , unless you ordered an incredible amout of them ( compared to the amount barbel anglers use , 30 tones I hear ). Obviously people want the shape as much as the make up of the pellet , so it will be good to see if these are as good as the origional . There was a lot of stock piling of them in case , but these new types may have the recipy , but they are not the origional Elips , something people should be awear of before they order . Will they catch ?, definatly they will .

Hatter

'New' Elips

Just to try and clear up "the mystery" again, having once been a stockist of these pellets in my ex- tackle shop from 2004-2010, not to mention being an enthusiastic and dedicated disciple of their barbel-catching effectiveness since 2001;) The main (and only original) manufacturer of authentic Elips pellets (EWOS, based in Scotland) ceased production and delivery prior to last season.

The stocks that Hinders had (until now:() and those that Sonu baits might still have a residue of, (until they eventually run out) will no longer be available for anyone to purchase....any more:mad: .

As explained before, I was already aware that Hinders had negotiated the purchase of the 'recipe' for these particular pellets last season and that they would then be trialed then before being put on the market (although they would not be able to provide the additional,costly equipment to achieve the unique shape of the originals, settling for the basic, standard pellet profile).

The impression I'm getting is that the content/make-up of the "new pellets" is faithful to the originals and that when tried out last season they performed no differently...I suppose it will be a case of suck it and see (well, for the barbel , anyway:D).

Having obtained some, I will also be trying them out against my other, proper Elips stocks to see for myself.

Having relied on them for the past thirteen (successful) seasons used on 14 different rivers, including achieving a new PB of 14lb from The Trent back in August, I sincerely hope that these new 'versions' will continue to produce my average, seasonal catch rate of 80% against the lesser, remaining 20% of barbel taken on other assorted hook-baits:eek:

Good luck to all

Roger

The originals contained an ingredient called Astaxanthin, which gave them their distinctive orange colour (used to turn farmed fish flesh pink). It was removed due to cost (you can buy 100 grams for £25!!!).

It will be interesting to know if the new pellets contain it?

Thanks for that, Cliff.

Roger - one of the few examples where the economic law of 'supply and demand' has very little influence. Good luck with the new non-elliptical elips pellet.

FYI - I emailed Hinders to clarify the facts, and this is their reply:

Morning Richard,

Thanks for the email, the cylindrical shape is no longer available as the
plate that makes that shape is no longer viable and so the Elips Pellets
have gone to the normal round shape as all the rest of the pellets in our
range. This was out of our control and the cylindrical shape will no longer
be available, the new round pellet has exactly the same ingredients as the
cylindrical with the shape being the only difference.I hope this all makes
sense.

Kind Regards

If the new pellets are now round and not ellliptical , Then in theory they will get washed away in the current/flow a lot easier :( than when they were flatter in shape

Not if they are on your hair Joe.....:)

Is it just me, or is Hinders reply to Richard's email a bit weird? If they thought the original Elipse pellets were 'cylindrical', perhaps that is the cause of the problem. They asked for cylindrical pellets, and that's exactly what they got :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I thought that Dave - but put it down to being confused.com.
There was a day when elliptical shaped pellets weren't confined to just the Elips. Examples of this were the Bfw Halips (14mm elliptical halibut type)) and Salips (10 - 11mm). All from EWOS if memory serves (Andy F can probably confirm) and great barbel catchers. The Salips was similar to the Elips but with a slightly faster breakdown time, these contained Astaxanthin (colourant and anti-oxidant), with a high oil content. Know what the EWOS name was but it escapes me at the moment - edit was Dynamic Blue XL. Still got some of both in the bait freezer!
Have the analytical content somewhere......

Bob

Back