• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another theft...

Paul Dowgill

Home from a dog show tonight to find the garage had been bolt cropped and nearly all my fishing gear has gone - rods/reels/balt/bags/torches/coat...As is always the case - some irreplaceable centre pins/old Mitchell reels...proof of ownership for insurance will be hard. F*@&ERS!!
I just dumped my old fiber glass rods a few months back - typical...:mad::mad::mad:

Thats sickening...Scumbags.:mad:

Paul, I feel for you. I hope you somehow manage to get it back.

For anyone reading this thread, I have photographed most of my gear just in case. Whether this will be of any use if I have to claim I don't know. So, on that note, are there any members of this site who work in the insurance business who could advise as to what is the best thing to do (bearing in mind that very few people keep receipts, especially for old pins etc.). Alternatively, do the Angling Trust have any ideas on this seemingly ever-increasing pattern of tackle theft?

Paul , if you need to borrow some gear to get going again whilst the insurance sorts out [ fingers crossed ] just let me know

Mike - many thanks for the offer.

Anthony, buying most of my recent gear online does mean i have many receipts but i have/had a Tony Fordham rod, Adcock Stanton and Aerial match for years with no evidence of ownership....i think photographing is a wise idea. Interestingly i have 3 chairs and they did not take one nor two empty bags (one bought off here) yet they took bait...and a torch which is no use without the charger yet left my radio...no logic. Yet 3 locks bolt cropped to get access.

I will be going to a few local boot sales over the next couple of months and keeping an eye on ebay.

Should have said I am near Oxford (a so called low crime area)- so if any one hears of Drennan 19 13' float/ 2x Greys Prodigy 1.75 Mkii or a Peregrine 1.5tc with Shimano reels/Trudex/Avon Royal Supreme on offer please let me know.

Paul, I feel for you. I hope you somehow manage to get it back.

For anyone reading this thread, I have photographed most of my gear just in case. Whether this will be of any use if I have to claim I don't know. So, on that note, are there any members of this site who work in the insurance business who could advise as to what is the best thing to do (bearing in mind that very few people keep receipts, especially for old pins etc.). Alternatively, do the Angling Trust have any ideas on this seemingly ever-increasing pattern of tackle theft?

Anthony, they do offer an invisible pen, with which to mark all your gear at a greatly reduced price ( £9.99 ).

P.S. Paul, i also have some spare gear if you want to borrow them, Prodigy 2lb barbel rod, shimano 4000 size reel.

Thanks, I remember that now Derek. Indeed you can spray your stuff with smart water, but how many on here have ever checked anything they have purchased second-hand? If it's not 'found out', it can't be returned. I was thinking more along the lines of when it's gone, what will satisfy the insurance companies when it comes to a claim?

paul, what you need is afew 6" nails and a heavy club hammer, when ya catch em nail em to a stout tree in middle of nowhere mate:mad:

Second time it has happened - i think i was targeted...some of gear was an insurance replacement...police are coming round to finger print..

Mark all your expensive kit with your post code and house number where possible in a not too obvious place, paint it on rods and varnish over, engrave it on if suitable items, then photograph each item twice, once showing the marks, adding to the list as time goes on. If things are stolen pass all the photos to the police.
This goes for portable tools, batteries and chargers, bikes, tvs, music systems, garden mower etc anything worth stealing. This is the next best thing I have found to 'smart water' which is extremely expensive. All I had to purchase was an engraver.

Peter, if your a member of the Angling Trust, or you know a member ;), you can buy a smart water fishing pack for £9.99

Sound advice but i am not sure it would help get it back - it is such a minor crime re police time. The insurance is interesting - no chance of getting replacements of the classic pins or a custom built rod - they only replace mass market stuff it seems. It will be interesting to see what cash they cough up or not!! They also have my RDAA ticket but i have to say the club response was immediate and very helpful.

Back