• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line and Rod rating for casting

Pete Webb

Can anyone enlighten me on what Rod\line combination should be used to chuck a 6oz weight around 50 yrds on the Trent. I'm a bit confused because you hear people mention that they use 12lb lined coupled with a 2.5lb rod to chuck 8-10 oz and that doesn't seem big enough to me.
I've found some info on tapered leaders etc but found it all very confusing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Pete

General rule of thumb for shock leaders is to use 10 times the weight.
6oz would require a 60lb leader. Mind you 50 yards could be considered a lob.
Thin wall blanks could fracture when casting really heavy weights.

There isnt many rods that can cope with 8oz. I have a pair of customs but my mate has the fox fx 2 and 3/4 and the do the job easily which was my previous. Never seen anyone use a shockleader with mono but with braid obviously only a fool wouldn't ref non abrasive properties.

So if you use braid mainline you'd use a leader but not a shock leader as such. How long should a leader of this type be?
The tapered shock leaders I've seen go from about 12lb to about 40lb. I think the theory behind it is that the 12lb end makes it easier for you to tie to the mainline. Once it's tied to the mainline you wind a couple of times onto the spool, then you have the length of the rod above the reel, then the drop from tip ring to the weight, giving you approx. 9m of leader! I think this's be OK in Stillwater because there's little or no flow, but in a river with 7m of 40lb line you'd get a lot of drag.

if your casting under 45/50 yards you shouldnt need a leader as your cast would be more like a lob than a full bloodied cast, i have a peregrine flood rod mk1 which will handle a 6oz weight and a pva net of bit 40-50 yds very comfortably:)

When fishing braid i fish a leader of 30lb amnesia not for strength bit abrasive properties generally 6 foot long.

Crumbs!

I have a beach caster which I use with a massive fixed spool reel and 20lb mono, that casts 4oz leads a very long way. I do not use it on rivers but I suppose if I fished the Tidal Trent then it would come in handy. I also have a rod and reel which would cope with Mahseer on the Cauvery.

Cod Belling?

Hugo

:)

There are not many rods that can cope with 8oz. I have a pair of customs but my mate has the fox fx 2 and 3/4 and they do the job easily which was my previous? Never seen anyone use a shockleader with mono but with braid obviously only a fool wouldn't ref non abrasive properties.

I am at a loss for words.......

Hugo

I am at a loss for words.......

Hugo

Until you have experienced some of the lower tidal trents banks, ebbs and floods especially on this new moon night then you may never know. Better to bank a fish than break on a fish through not covering all bases be it environmental or geograpghical.

Back