• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ray Walton Rolling Pin

Russell Emms

Would be interested in peoples thoughts about said reel, have heard mixed opinions on it but i quite fancy one.
Any opinion greatly appreciated.

I used one for a couple of years and enjoyed it. I found it a good introduction to using a pin because of its swivelling capability. It meant I felt confident about being able to cast with accuracy whilst enjoying the experience of a pin exploding into life when a barbel liked my bait offering. That then got me into pins generally and I slowly moved to non swivelling pins as my casting improved. You will certainly read some negative comments about them but on the two I owned, I never experienced the wobbling etc that others may mention.

Some of the early ones wobbled , they should all be sorted by now . You will get line twist on all of them , this is inevitable . Personally I think they are too expensive second hand . If you want to cast a long way with a pin , learn to Wallis cast [ not easy ] . If you can put up with the high price and line twist go with the rolling pin , they do look nice .

I used one for a couple of years and enjoyed it. I found it a good introduction to using a pin because of its swivelling capability. It meant I felt confident about being able to cast with accuracy whilst enjoying the experience of a pin exploding into life when a barbel liked my bait offering. That then got me into pins generally and I slowly moved to non swivelling pins as my casting improved. You will certainly read some negative comments about them but on the two I owned, I never experienced the wobbling etc that others may mention.

A bit like having a bicycle with stabilisers?!

To the OP, I would suggest getting someone to teach you to cast so that you can use a "normal" centrepin from the off, with the added benefit that you won't be forced into using the dreaded braided mainline.

There's a lovely Swallow on ebay! ;)

Tim

Lear to Wallis cast. If you have reasonable hand eye coordination you should be able to teach yourself in a couple of hours. There is plenty of information on how it is done on Google. Get a pin that is reasonably free running, contrary to popular belief it does not have spin for 10 minutes in fact that can be a disadvantage.
You will never regret it, it is so quick to recast, accurate, and the end tackle seems to land with a plop rather than a splash.

I would echo the casting thoughts above. As a relative newbie to 'pins, I considered a rolling pin but figured that, aside from the cost, I'd feel more satisfied with learning to cast ''properly'' and using a traditional type 'pin. The whole casting this does seem a little daunting at first but the best thing to do is to get out there and just do it, find a technique that suits you and develop your skills from there on.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.
I asked about the Ray Walton one because it looks and feels to me a bit more robust, because i won't doing much trotting with, it will be for rolling and ledgering mainly.
Am i right in thinking this??

I find one of the major advantages of the pin is the complete lack of twist imparted to the line by the reel, unlike a fixed spool.
I can't see why braid would be better than nylon on a line twisting reel, I once had to deal with a fixed spool that had been loaded with braid the wrong way and it wasn't a pleasant experience, I think scissors became involved and it was far worse than I've ever seen with Nylon.

I have a pair that i have used for years and find them excellent for what i use them for.

Not really suited for lobbing big baits/feeders across the Trent but then i don't do that LOL

Back