• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rolling the meat

John Care

Managed a couple of fish doing this today, just using a swivel and a few swan shot as a weight in a slow moving peg. I've heard the plasticine method is best for this method though, what do all you meat rollers out there do?

Managed a couple of fish doing this today, just using a swivel and a few swan shot as a weight in a slow moving peg. I've heard the plasticine method is best for this method though, what do all you meat rollers out there do?

The man himself needs to answer this I reckon, Ray?

The tidiest method is to use a weighted large hook.Get a size 2 and wrap lead wire around it,(fly tying wire) wrap down on some hooks and cut off, down and back up on others,to get a heavier hook for faster flows.You will then not have to put anything on the line.

I do same as mark, with lead wire around the shank of hook.
I mainly do rolling meat on the teme and Severn, so with the faster flows I find fly tying lead of little use.
I managed to sorce some decent diameter lead wire which is perfect.
You use to be able to buy the lead wire from Partridge tackle under Trevor Wests name.

I personally don't like anything on the line.
I find shot, plasticine or swivels catch on obstructions under water and snag up too easily.
Possibly ok if you are fishing a gravel run on the Hampshire Avon, but no use on the middle Severn.

Great stuff Steve, Trevor West certainly did OK with that method on the Teme, I seemed to recall he used 30 amp fuse wire at the time, if the stuff is still available, but perhaps still too light?

What I need is a bloke in the metal business to advise, any ideas? :rolleyes:

You are right Steve,about the diameter of the wire,i use the same thickness,but did not know how else to describe it .I was also wondering about the legality of using the thicker wire and putting it on the site. Neil, Trevor used the fuse wire tied to a hair,the fuse wire goes into the meat and was then bent back to secure.I think partridge used to sell the lead wire.

Plastacine or similar modelling clay on mainline moulded around a float stop to help stay in place does the job for me but yes if you have a snaggy bottom more likely to get hung up.
Plastacine is easy to add or subtract depending on flow and depth ,which given this method lends itself to mobile approach, is useful.
Rare do you get plastacine snagged as it slids down line or falls off.
Can push swan shot or similar into it to add weight also.

Fished with a forward bow in the line,rod held at fair angle in order to feel the weighted hook or plastacine tripping over gravel, you will know when you got it right.Feel for lots of little bobbles,walk along the bank if you can, then a recognisable tug or slack and "your in",

Its generally the bow that pulls the rig through the swim while under a taunt line staying in contact with the weight/bait.
I am happy therefore to use mono.
Admit braid possibly better for a longer cast and feel.
Dont let anyone tell you its a blown method,,it will catch when all else fails if you work at it IMO.

if my memory's correct i remember seeing somewhere where the maestro himself ray walton moulding heavy metal tungsten putty along the hook shank & sealing it over with heat shrink tube.....or i may of dreamt it :p

Barbel pick up plasticine giving false bites causing foul hooked fish.

End of. It is not necessary. You will foul hook fish if you use it!

Please don't use plasticine.

Regards,

Jeff

I do same as mark, with lead wire around the shank of hook.
I mainly do rolling meat on the teme and Severn, so with the faster flows I find fly tying lead of little use.
I managed to sorce some decent diameter lead wire which is perfect.
You use to be able to buy the lead wire from Partridge tackle under Trevor Wests name.

I personally don't like anything on the line.
I find shot, plasticine or swivels catch on obstructions under water and snag up too easily.
Possibly ok if you are fishing a gravel run on the Hampshire Avon, but no use on the middle Severn.

Could i ask where you find this wire? I can only find fly wire that is to light

Could i ask where you find this wire? I can only find fly wire that is to light
I’ve bought wire exactly like that from fly fishing suppliers.

If you put a hook in a fly tieing vice you could whip anything you like to the shank. Sheet lead cut to size, masonry nails (as per Mark Everard), bits of tungsten tube or even very heavy shooting head material.

Or as Roger Farrow suggested look at premade Czech nymph set ups or the moulded lead weights you whip to your hook to make that style of nymph.

Back