• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Claimed 20lb plus barbel in the angler's mail.

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Looks 15 tops. Holding it out and a poor picture. God knows why the mail let's them in, other than to sell more magazines!

Shameless.

Awarding the bloke a weekly tackle prize just gies him more confidence to report such bull**** in future.Thats the real crime

Why I no longer buy them, full of sh1te, it is an age old trick holding fish at arms length, gets no vote of approval from me, but then I am old in the tooth!!

Not seen it either but perhaps it's just a simple sign convention issue. It's easily done. I managed a few hours on the bank this evening and may well consider submitting the story of my 20lb minus fish. What a session. I was literally sat there, staring at the isotopes on my totally stationary rod tip when bang! Yes, I looked up and could hardly believe my eyes. The rod hadn't twitched an inch. It was still totally motionless. The 20lb minus fish didn't take me for a right old merry dance through the swim and all it's snags and dangers. And then, when I switched on the head torch and looked into the water, there was absolutely nothing there-how amazing is that. Well, after not enduring any arm ache from all that reeling in that I didn't need to do, I sat back in my chair and just shook my head in bewilderment at what just didn't happen. Where to go from here I thought as I looked down at my landing net that wasn't graced by anything even remotely wet. It was a night I would instantly forget with the capture of a 20lb minus (20lb) fish. Some folk would claim a blank, but not me. I'm better than that.

Not seen it either but perhaps it's just a simple sign convention issue. It's easily done. I managed a few hours on the bank this evening and may well consider submitting the story of my 20lb minus fish. What a session. I was literally sat there, staring at the isotopes on my totally stationary rod tip when bang! Yes, I looked up and could hardly believe my eyes. The rod hadn't twitched an inch. It was still totally motionless. The 20lb minus fish didn't take me for a right old merry dance through the swim and all it's snags and dangers. And then, when I switched on the head torch and looked into the water, there was absolutely nothing there-how amazing is that. Well, after not enduring any arm ache from all that reeling in that I didn't need to do, I sat back in my chair and just shook my head in bewilderment at what just didn't happen. Where to go from here I thought as I looked down at my landing net that wasn't graced by anything even remotely wet. It was a night I would instantly forget with the capture of a 20lb minus (20lb) fish. Some folk would claim a blank, but not me. I'm better than that.

Priceless , very witty Howard :D

Looks very similar to the first fish on the Trent photo gallery,at 14lb 1oz and the same area, i think.Had a quick look today in the mail in Tescos,(did not buy) could someone scan and put the photo up.A little detective work would be easy with the amount of photos in our gallery

Looks very similar to the first fish on the Trent photo gallery,at 14lb 1oz and the same area, i think.Had a quick look today in the mail in Tescos,(did not buy) could someone scan and put the photo up.A little detective work would be easy with the amount of photos in our gallery

Here you are Mark, don't know if its any good. He will be lucky if that was 14lb:eek:

IMG_1263.jpg

Seriously - that would definitely be the upper limit, Paul. What a git, claiming over 20lb. Outrageous! Well, I'm speechless (if only, they say). :)

Iain,
22lb.12oz. came out by the road bridge in pinn way....

This Fish was caught from my neck of the woods, after seeing the photo I,am very sceptical of its claimed weight.

Ask yourself this : you have just caught a 20lb 7oz Barbel -Trent record fish

You take one crappy photo (poor quality)

No witnesses

The mind ponders...!!!!

Good point Robert,

Only thing is that some anglers aren't that bothered with taking good quality photos. I know that if I had just caught a record breaking fish I would want to get a decent snap. Some people just don't think like that. Nevertheless, the fish is never 20lb. I'd say 14-15lb was generous.

Jack

Sorry Hugo didnt realise that you were still wetting a line on that section....

Cheers Paul,the pictures are poor but maybe if Robert goes through his photos he might find a match.Sadly a lot of you Trent lads take photos from a long distance at night and not close ups.The fish does seem to have a large black dot on the face,either that or its muck.

Cheers Paul,the picture is poor but maybe if Robert goes through his photos he might find a match.Sadly a lot of you Trent lads take photos from a long distance at night and not close ups.The fish does seem to have a large black dot on the face,either that or its muck and what looks like a clip out of the top fin.

Back