• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait runners and bite alarms

Everyone I've seen fishing the Trent appears to use a tripod and bite alarms and I assume bait runners.

With the power of the Trent how do you stop the flow pulling the line off of the bait runner? Is it just a case of adjusting the free spool until it holds or do you need to let out a good bow of line to avoid this problem.

Surely there comes a point, especially in flood water where the bait runner has to be tightened up so much that it is no longer a bait runner ? :)

Sorry if these sounds like dum question but I'm normally a single rod man on the Severn / Teme where I tend to hold the rod most of the time due to the viscous bites the barbel give!

Thanks

I use a pair of Shimano 6000Ds and the bait runner clutch give a maximum of 2lbs of drag. That was more than enough to hold back the tow from a seriously flooded Thames last winter with 10 or 8oz of lead on the end. The point is that a hooked fish can still take line without hopefully taking the rods!

Stephen

I use a pair of thunnus 8000s and prior that some medium baitrunners. No problem at all really if its taking line in flood its either a barbel or a branch etc.

Centre pin down the inside normally does the trick...................... I wish!

Fished both Seven and Trent in flood and had no problems apart from trees and a dead sheep. I fish with Shimano Medium Baitrunners and just tighten up the bait runner clutch.

Hi Chris, most of my limited time for barbel is on the tidal Trent, so like to be geared up. Its the same reels I use for piking on Scottish Lochs - but use 13lb main line or 30lb braid for barbel.

i sometimes use a heavy lump of plasticine as an indicator behind the alarms
this counters the flow and all you need do to balance it with the flow is add or subtract to the lump, once settled and balanced set your baitrunner so that it holds the plasticine up off the ground, dont be deterred by the heavy bobbin it
will fish just as any other indicator if its only just balanced against the flow, sit back and enjoy your surroundings, this is not reccomended if snags are nearby though:)

Back