• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter clothing

N

Nick Hay

Looking for a new winter thermal suit, what are your recommendations ?
would prefer something breathable.
Thanks,
Nick

Two seasons ago I brought a Trakker three piece suit. Jacket, Bib and braces, and an excellent Fleece. The Fleece is lined with Pertex, so is ideal on a cold day alone. I have some of these new rubber lined ankle boots that are very warm about £40.

Worn together it's just amazing, truly. You cannot walk too far in it, unless you remove the jacket, it's that warm. I've not worn it in a downpour, so I don't know if it's fully waterproof. But under an umbrella!!

Around £100 if I remember it's called the Igloo suit I think?.

I also brought a lined pullover style from the same maker. It's the same style as the famous 'Buffalo' brand (so you pull it over your head, no buttons or zips) lined with a wool type material and you wear little else under it. Ideal if you want to move around. It has a long back so ideal if you sit down. A Pertex finish so it's shower proof, but if it get wet, your body head is supposed to dry it from the inside. Very, very warm. About £50.

One or the other cover all my fishing on the river.

If you want more expensive, I have Musto gear for all my game fishing.

Wonderful but you get what you pay for, mostly?

Hope it helps.

Richard.

yes , another shout for the army snug pack trousers and jacket

wont keep you dry , but it will keep you very warm , piece it together with a goretex jacket and trousers , bobs your uncle

Decided to go for a Chub Vantage all weather suit last winter and it keeps me warm but without been as bulky as some of the other winter suits.
I don't like feeling like mitchelin man when sat down so this is perfect. Also got the base layers for really cold days.

Dave

I did a lot of research on this very subject last year and wanted a waterproof and breathable outer layer, to avoid getting too sweaty walking and to stay absolutely dry in the rain, I do a bit of boat fishing occasionally so showerproof is not good enough. Warmth Being provided by various fleeces.
The conclusions I reached having read a lot of reviews and feedback and studying many specifications was:-
The only purpose made coarse fishing suits that are actually waterproof and breathable are made by ESP.
The sizing of most of the garments is pretty weird and buying online is a bit risky if something that fits is needed.
The Chub vantage base layer is absolutely wonderful. The suit I found a bit flimsy and feedback was not good.
The tracker stuff seems to be pretty robust warm and dry, but breathable it's not.
I'd be very interested to hear more about this snugpack softie stuff if anyone could help.
I'm still searching for a good pair of warm waterproof boots, any recommendations?

Decided to go for a Chub Vantage all weather suit last winter and it keeps me warm but without been as bulky as some of the other winter suits.
I don't like feeling like mitchelin man when sat down so this is perfect. Also got the base layers for really cold days.

Dave

Good to hear that David as the Chub Vantage suit is being heavily discounted at the moment.

Dave

Good to hear that David as the Chub Vantage suit is being heavily discounted at the moment.

Dave

Just beware though Dave as i found out the reason they were discounted was because only the very large sizes were left. And when i payed online for one which was advertised as medium, i was told days later that they have not had one in medium for months!! I was not a happy chap :mad: I did find one discounted in the end but i double checked on the phone(lesson learned)

Dave

Having spent decades lumbering around in Barbours which weighed about 24lb when they`d been in the rain for a few hours I tried the snugpack/goretex smock over the top & found it excellent. I can`t remember the seller but it was UK based & unissued army stuff. Really has been a good change.

Just beware though Dave as i found out the reason they were discounted was because only the very large sizes were left. And when i payed online for one which was advertised as medium, i was told days later that they have not had one in medium for months!! I was not a happy chap :mad: I did find one discounted in the end but i double checked on the phone(lesson learned)

Dave

Thanks for that David. I was looking to get one in large size so perhaps I'll be lucky.

Dave

Thanks for all the input guys, I do have the softee jacket and trousers and goretex jacket/trousers, trouble is have lost 2 stone in weight and the stuff is too big now, thought there maybe something else on the market but looks like it is new ones in a smaller size !!

lost count of the years ive had my sundridge minus10 jacket & salopetts . still going strong. warm and waterproof . , if and when the need arises for me to replace , sundridge will be my first port of call.

There is any amount of high quality gear that will keep you warm and dry , the big but is how much walking are you going to be doing either getting to your swim or walking about during the day ? If the answer is some or a lot ,then you need to think hard about getting clothing that is breathable and wicks sweat away . If it isn't / doesn't then you are initially going to be very warm / hot then you will get very cold indeed as the sweat cools when you stop walking . A solution if you can't afford all the high end gear is dress down for the walking then put yout thick warm top layer on when you settle down

Hi All,

For the last few seasons i have been wearing a one piece suit made by Fladen its big its heavy its not good to walk in, its a michalin man alright....I was looking online at these one and two piece base layer suits must confess that i know little about them. seen them by Chub and Trakker for not much over £20. What would you need to wear over the top of these suits? I want to be warm but i want to be able to walk and move freely, something lighter over the top?
Your help much appreciated.

Layers. Layers and air encapsulating thermals
Qith a goretex outerwear kept me warm for years in the Arctic circle (Norway). Neoprene clthing dont bother. Anything that makes u sweat dont bother. Don't walk to your peg for miles fully dressed and sweaty. Put your layers on when the sweats gone. Loose fit boots aid circulation. Look at youŕ outerwear from the feet up. I could go on. Ps some great advice prescedes mine.

I paid £200 for a Berghaus Goretex Mountaineering jacket over 20 yrs ago. I now get the equivalent in unissued Army jackets for under £30. Put up with the camouflage and as has already been said, sort out the layers you need for the job. Another tip: if you are walking a long distance to where you plan to fish, you'll have to carry all your layers, so stuff it in a dry-bag inside the large pocket of your quiver. One such as these:

Exped Single Waterproof Fold Drybag - Black | Simply Hike UK

Back