• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing nr Stoke?

Paul Murray

Hi - I'm working in Stoke-on-Trent next week - does anyone know if there is any decent barbel fishing in the vicinity? - otherwise I'll be stuck drinking and watching footie in the evenings...

Regards

Paul (AKA The Lurker)

River Dane around congleton? Caught a fair few there many moons ago when I lived in Mow Cop which isn't that far from Stoke. Back then, in a whole season, I doubt I ever saw more that a couple of regulars targeting them.

I only realised there were barbel in there when I was forced to go shopping with my wife and, on spotting some running water in a park, I had nipped away to have a look. I was genuinely shocked to spot two smallish barbel drift into view. A couple of years later a stretch near a brilliant pub - whose name annoyingly escapes me - gained a reputation for holding barbel. I moved away shortly after so I've no personal experience of how it fishes these days.

As an aside, this pub was at the end of a track and had chickens running free around it. Can anyone remind me what it's called?

Please, it's really bugging me :D

River Dane around congleton? Caught a fair few there many moons ago when I lived in Mow Cop which isn't that far from Stoke. Back then, in a whole season, I doubt I ever saw more that a couple of regulars targeting them.

I only realised there were barbel in there when I was forced to go shopping with my wife and, on spotting some running water in a park, I had nipped away to have a look. I was genuinely shocked to spot two smallish barbel drift into view. A couple of years later a stretch near a brilliant pub - whose name annoyingly escapes me - gained a reputation for holding barbel. I moved away shortly after so I've no personal experience of how it fishes these days.

As an aside, this pub was at the end of a track and had chickens running free around it. Can anyone remind me what it's called?

Please, it's really bugging me :D

Nigel - do you mean the Swettenham Arms?

Just remembered, it was the Swettenham Arms and, back then, Im pretty sure they has some fishing rights.

Looking on Trip Advisor, this evening, lt's now a bleeding Gastropub. :(

Prince Albert have most of the Dane from Radnor down towards Swettenham.

The barbel population from Radnor to Holmes Chapel seems to be few and far between these days, stacks of chub to be had though and the grayling population appears to be burgeoning. Some good dace to be had as well.

That's probably as much as I'm allowed to say about a 'fight club' stretch...:)

Just worked it out, I'm talking around 25 years ago! :)

The Swettenham Arms used to do day tickets a long time ago , before PAAS took on the fishing in the local area .When I first fished the Dane there used to be otter hunts in that area , very similar to fox hunts without the horses . A pub I used to frequent in Northwich used to have the last hunted otter off the Dane mounted and cased in the bar .

Back