• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

person posting under my name.

Paul Cooper

I have just read a post regarding the Thames and some private messages. This post and various messages were not written by me. To the person who did this i have now changed all my details. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

That I don't know i will have to look into that!!!! Post was placed on 13/10/2014 and private messages x2 were sent on 10/10/2014.

IP address tracing is generally unreliable as many ISPs assign a range of IP addresses to their customers, meaning that one day you could get the same IP address that someone else was using last week...

It's generally recommended to regularly change passwords on all things online. I recommend changing the password that we issue in the email that I send with all new user details.

Regards,

Andy F

hi paul, justa short post to say i for one am shocked and dismayed that somebody has picked on you to try to cause bad feeling on here,
i personally haven,t heard of anyone else this has happened to but also in no way reflects on yourself also, again i think anyone who does is a TRUE COWARD NOT MAN ENOUGH TO COME OUT OF HIDING:mad::mad::mad::mad:
dont despair paul as nearly all on bfw are genuine :)

hi paul, justa short post to say i for one am shocked and dismayed that somebody has picked on you to try to cause bad feeling on here,
i personally haven,t heard of anyone else this has happened to but also in no way reflects on yourself also, again i think anyone who does is a TRUE COWARD NOT MAN ENOUGH TO COME OUT OF HIDING:mad::mad::mad::mad:
dont despair paul as nearly all on bfw are genuine :)

Signed Paul Coo err

John Walker :eek:

Not worried about the post. Think they were trying to get info on Thames venues, i never tell anyone where i fish, let alone on this site. More annoyed by message as they were slagging another angler. I have a few ideas who it could be. Ps just back from the Thames has a bit of colour and flow at last.

Would people really sink to that level to find out where you fish??
Is the Thames a clandestine operation?

John, bring the hammer! ;-)

I have just read a post regarding the Thames and some private messages. This post and various messages were not written by me. To the person who did this i have now changed all my details. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Somebody on here did it to me not long back, takes all sorts I suppose.

Jez

Pretty juvenile stuff. I would be interested to know how the person(s) responsible got hold of both passwords as anglers aren't generally known for their hacking ability - spending far too much time on the bank.

How on earth has someone got hold of your logging in details and password? perhaps you have upset someone on the forum? :rolleyes:

Nobody, even Andy or any of the board admins, can get hold of login details / passwords. Yes, we can put in a new password, but we can never find out what an existing password is.

But be aware that the vast majority of people use a simple password, and in some cases it could be guessed at - childs name, dogs name etc

As an example it could be = rover
When this would be much better as = ro*&v(&er%£"

"Complex" passwords are more difficult to remember and enter, but safer of course.

interestingly whe i logged in just now, firefox warned me it prevented me being automatically redirected to another page..over zealous firefox or something dodgy?

interestingly whe i logged in just now, firefox warned me it prevented me being automatically redirected to another page..over zealous firefox or something dodgy?

I've just tested this in Firefox Robert and could not reproduce what you experienced...

As Paul has said, all passwords in the database are encrypted which means once set, no one can access them. This is why when people ask me for a reminder of their login details, I have to send a new password.

Cheers,

Andy

Derek, which Paul are you talking about! I worked for the NHS for 36 years and had access to the patients notes electronic data base. We had to change our password every six weeks. Think this is a bit of an overkill for this site. Bored with this now.

I've just tested this in Firefox Robert and could not reproduce what you experienced...

As Paul has said, all passwords in the database are encrypted which means once set, no one can access them. This is why when people ask me for a reminder of their login details, I have to send a new password.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, might well be a setting i have in firefox, been using chrome but its become a pain opening multiple windows.

regards

rob

Back