• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Berkley big game

Graham Billingham

Looking for a 1/4 spool of big game clear in 10lb. the spool I have now as a green label with big game on it, the ones iv'e seen on the internet all have a black label with Trilene wrote on it but it's advertised as big game. Is it the same line?

Check the diameter against your existing 10lb if its thinner do not buy, a few years ago they were selling big game and it turned out to be prestretched,i think it was labelled big game 'extra tough' it was much thinner in diameter. I seem to think there was a thread about a year ago on similar lines.

mark the xt big game was a thick line particulary good for its anti abrasiveness
and as far as i know was igfa approved:)

John, all i know is that it looked like bog standard big game,same type spool with extra tough written in small writing on the spool.I got broken on the 48lb version twice in two casts fishing in India it was only when you looked closer the 48lb line was thinner than the normal 40lb berkley.Luckily i had some normal 40lb with me,and 4 bulk spools of the poor abrasion version went in the bin

Mark, its been a fair while since i used big gameXT but used to buy it from harefield tackle, in harefield, maybe they could help:)

I got some from ebay season before last, i tested it and it broke at 13lb, however the knot strength wasnt good so I've stopped using it. Made in Japan, not USA.

Always check the line diameter on Big Game.

I was using the brown only and my local dealer pointed out the differences he sold me 8lb but the writing said 10lb - he pointed me to the line diameter something to do with standardisation. We always expect Big Game to break above the BS stated but EU (or another body required different standards.

Back