• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sad Day

Ray Thorpe

Well its a year today that poor Steve Stringer was found dead in the Kennet. Rest in peace my friend Steve. The members of BFW had a collection to get a Plaque or Engraved Bench to remember Steve when we Fished the Lower Benyons. As of yesterday there is no bench or Plaque on The Lower Benyons to remember Steve. Can somebody please explain what is happening please.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Indeed it is Ray.
Having been there the night Steve died and also the day his body was recovered, I also was suprised not to see anything significant on the bank apart from a rather tatty faded rossette.

I had assumed that a metal Plaque would be placed on the tree behind the swim where he perished, or at least in his favoured swim.

Graham

Wow thats passed quick but heres a question what happened to the cash we donated then ?

How time flies, well after a year Robert that is perhaps a good question! I thought that a bench was going to be placed near Steve's favourite swim? Perhaps Andy can through some light on the situation?

If i remember rightly, ( i may be wrong ), someone else was supposed to be arranging a plaque/bench, possibly the BS, so the money raised by BFW, was given to the family to donate to a charity.

I had an email from Amy Stringer last week updating me on what is happening.

The family have the money we raised and have ordered an oak tree that they have permission to plant, they are also buying a plaque. The cost of these comes under the total raised so the remaining balance will be donated to the Ms charity.

I'll obviously post again when I hear from Amy that all has been finalised.

Andy

Thank you Andy pleased to hear that it is still going ahead....

Andy, did the family seem to have coped ok after his sudden departure from this world, it must have hurt his family terribly

Thanks for your reply Andy. I look foreward to seeing the Oak tree and Plaque in the memory of Steve in the near future, when I fish the Lower Benyons.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Back