• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The source paste

Robert Linwood

Hi chaps any one know if you can buy source paste realy rate the boilies highly but don't think I've ever seen the paste to match

I get mine from Oakwood Angling Rob, not too far from you :)

The Source paste is a little soft for my liking I make my own.

Make my own as well - got 5kg basemix when it was becoming scarce - so saved in the freezer!
There's a good alternative and more complex bait around which I hear good things about.
Cheers
Bob

I've always added a half table spoon of wheat gluten to a one egg mix of nearly every base mix I've ever used. It makes the paste more doughy and spongy, slows the breakdown time a little. I've done this with the Source before as well as Crave, and quite a few others.

Agreed, make your own!

Grab about half a mug of boilies, mill down into a powder and then add one beaten egg slowly until you get a stiff paste.

Stephen

Source is all but the same as Nash Monster Pursuit Fish Mix (on which it is based)
- google that and recipes for an alternative to the Source base mix and liqiud

Hi Guys
Try THE SOURCE groundbait just add water to make a paste.
I suppose you could add this to the ready made paste.
Brian.

I've always added a half table spoon of wheat gluten to a one egg mix of nearly every base mix I've ever used. It makes the paste more doughy and spongy, slows the breakdown time a little. I've done this with the Source before as well as Crave, and quite a few others.

Hi Hayden
I used wheat gluten many years ago, but I am at a loss on where to buy it now, perhaps someone may know a store where I can purchase some.
At the moment I am trying XANTHAN GUM, this is used as a sticky and thickening agent, it is used in toothpaste, Ice cream and various gravy.
I have not achieved a satisfactory result at the moment but I am still trying.
Brian.

Hi Hayden
I used wheat gluten many years ago, but I am at a loss on where to buy it now, perhaps someone may know a store where I can purchase some.
At the moment I am trying XANTHAN GUM, this is used as a sticky and thickening agent, it is used in toothpaste, Ice cream and various gravy.
Brian.

Brian, just google " wheat gluten " there,s plenty of places online. :)

heres one of them :)

Organic Vital Wheat Gluten Flour from Real Foods Buy Bulk Wholesale Online

Wheatgerm used to be used years ago in my home made carp baits, must still be available from health shops and bait suppliers.

Don't quite no how I forgot this but last year I used Sticky Baits The Krill paste smells very source like but much stiffer.

Hi Hayden
Brian.

Brian, I always use Richworth's wheat gluten and it looks like they still sell it.

Fishing Baits - Richworth Baits - Ingredients - Richworth Bait Ingredients Wheat Gluten ( 1 kg)

I've had my bag of it for quite some time now but it still seems ok.

If I remember correctly Kevin Maddock's had some brilliant paste recipes in Carp Fever, the book that switched many people onto making their own baits. I remember using a paste recipe long ago from that book that was made up of ground trout pellets and wheat gluten, with some sodium cassienate added. Brilliant bait! It had the most spongy texture that not only held on the hook, as we used way back when, but also didn't make a mess of your hands when applying it, unlike boilie base mix and egg blends which stick like shyte to an army blanket.

Big girl's blouse? Moi? :)

Back