• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are 2 rods enough?

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
As per the Angling Times today; The Angling Trust are in talks with the EA to increase the limit per licence to 3 rods.
my view is there's enough idiots on the bank who struggle fishing with 2 rods and to give them a ticket to use another one is just bad angling. I do feel sorry for the decent carpers who use 3 rods and fish them safely, but just to keep the uneducated getting hold of another rod lets just keep it to 2 rods per licence.

What are your thoughts lads?

I'd be happy enough with the option to use three rods on one license on the Thames. Bites are at a premium and with three rods one can cover both margins and the middle of the river.

I expect there will follow more nay sayers than yay sayers though. Most barbel anglers seem to fish two rods watching the tips so I doubt the concensus will be any different.

Stephen

personally I would have left it as it is,and added the option of a 3 rod licence,plenty of carpers or pike anglers who fish 3 rods,but have to pay for 2 licences.

I use 2 rods on occasion when barbel fishing on larger rivers ,usually when things are very tough or I am trying something new out ,anything more in my opinion is asking for trouble whether for barbel or any other species .Playing one fish then the other rod '' goes off '' can be challenging but with 3 or more lines in the water things could get very messy

All any club has to do is state in its rules that a maximum of two rods can be used on a river, but three on still waters (and it's printed clearly on any day-ticket) and that solves the problem before it begins.

but just to keep the uneducated getting hold of another rod lets just keep it to 2 rods per licence.

Well the uneducated anglers you mention certainly do exist, there's no denying that. But given that most anglers have enough common sense to use the right amount of tackle for the given circumstances then it's probably far better to let those who wish to fish three rods do so, without punishing them for the sins of a few intellectually challenged numpties.

I rarely use two rods when fishing rivers but nearly always use two on lakes. If I could use three without having to pay for four, something I always begrudge, then I certainly would. Just because I would use three on a lake though still doesn't change the fact that I'd mostly only ever use one on a river. And I reckon most anglers would see it that way.

I can only cope with one rod when barbel fishing but as I normally hold the rod two rods would be somewhat problematic!

Regards,

Hugo

Why not have 2 & 3 rod options at graduated prices? The three rod option could indicate that the third rod could only be used on stillwaters and those carp anglers who want to fish with four rods (or more!) could still buy two licences as now. Simples!

Dave

Surely the best option is a single license that can have between 1 and 3 or 4 rods on it. Why should the match angler pay for 2 rods when he (or she) can only ever use one in a competition? Many river anglers will happily use 2 whilst carpers and pikers are regularly seen with 3 rods out.

As others have already pointed out, many clubs set their own limits regardless of legal limit. The last thing the EA should do is set the rules based on idiots who will break rules and fish in an inappropriate manner.

one rod per licence at a reduced cost with a max of 3 or, buy a normal one with a reduced cost option to add a third. i would be happy with either of them

All any club has to do is state in its rules that a maximum of two rods can be used on a river, but three on still waters (and it's printed clearly on any day-ticket) and that solves the problem before it begins.

Well done mate, I agree, the perfect answer.
Brian.

I usually use two rods when after Barbel,or Pike, not at all a lover of **** sorry, Carp fishing so that doesnt come into the equation, but I will say that I would rather fish one rod well than two rods poorly.
So far as Licences are concerned, I think it is fine as it is.I could not manage or want the responsibility of using 3 rods at once, having had double hook ups on two rods, 3 is unthinkable.

Dave

As per the Angling Times today; The Angling Trust are in talks with the EA to increase the limit per licence to 3 rods.
my view is there's enough idiots on the bank who struggle fishing with 2 rods and to give them a ticket to use another one is just bad angling. I do feel sorry for the decent carpers who use 3 rods and fish them safely, but just to keep the uneducated getting hold of another rod lets just keep it to 2 rods per licence.

A change like this would drastically reduce the annual income to the EA if the rod licence fee stayed at the current level so they would want to raise the standard licence price. Single/double rod users would then be subsidising anglers using 3 rods.

So far as Licences are concerned, I think it is fine as it is.I could not manage or want the responsibility of using 3 rods at once, having had double hook ups on two rods, 3 is unthinkable.

That's exactly what i was thinking. I would not find fishing 3 rods relaxing. But i can imagine the use of 3 rods on very wide rivers/stillwaters with a low stocking density would be ok as long as you were confident in doing so.

Dave

Mmmm sounds good. When I take my sister with me who has a EA Licence. We will be able to fish 6 rods on The Loddon free stretch. Instead of 4 rods.

Good bye for now.

When I first started fishing, it was just two rods on the licence.

Since then I've only ever fished with a maximum of two regardless of species, even carp.

It's never seemed to be a disadvantage, and with carp I've found 3 lines can cut fish off. But it's only my opinion?

I understand where Jon is coming from on this, because there are indeed some irresponsible idiots about...many of whom shouldn't be allowed to fish with one rod, let alone three!

However, I think Jon's thinking on this is possibly a little clouded. The maximum number of rods allowed is usually restricted more by the individual fishery rules, rather than the license. Anyone who wishes to use more than two rods (where fishery rules allow) can already do so, simply by purchasing two licenses or more. Obviously then, increasing the number of rods allowed on one single license will make absolutely no difference to the number of rods actually used. Those who only ever used one rod, or two...will continue to do so, irrespective of the numbers on the license. Similarly, the anglers who have always used three or more will continue to do that. All it will mean is that this latter group (usually carpers) will be able to do so without the added expense and inconvenience of having to buy that second license.

The only objection I would have is if the price of the new license (should it come about) was higher than the current one, on the basis that it now allows one extra rod. That obviously would penalise the angler who never uses three rods, by making them pay for something they don't want. As has been suggested, it may be more sensible to have a range of prices based on the number of rods required. I would think a range of separate printed licenses would be too expensive...perhaps a box on the license which was stamped appropriately before issue...would be a sensible arrangement?

Cheers, Dave

personally i only ever fish one rod so would be not be happy to pay more for the sake of those who want to use 3 but if they make it to cheap you will see every noddy under the sun using 3 on the rivers for barbel etc.
if you want to fish 3 rods you pay extra for it.

I have to agree with those points raised by Dave Gauntlett and would emphasize the fact that because the licence allows you to use 3 or 4 rods, it dose not mean that you must!
I think most anglers who use multiple rod set ups will firstly only do so when the swim allows. 3 rods out in a still water I don't feel is a cause of concern, 3 in a river swim is a different matter. I would be very surprised if you could fish 3 rods without a problem in moving water on some of the postage stamp size swims on the Severn.
Then what will the fishery owners say, im sure that they will be only to pleased to charge for a forth rod, tho I doubt very much they will make the swims any bigger to accommodate!!

Back