• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel weights

Stephen Whyte

Did not want to hi-jack any other threads, but I was wondering why only the Trent fish attracted any controversy over weight as opposed to the Severn Barbel? I have my own opinions and just wondered if anyone else had.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
What controversy, ie, is it claimed weights?

Ian

Is it because the Trent fish was claimed to be 20lb but the photo was a bit rubbish and it all seemed highly dubious with no one, as I can tell, believing the fish to be anything like 20lb. Whereas the Severn barbel (I assume you mean the 16.11 possible record) was witnessed by another BFW regular, the angler seems to be generally well known to other BFW Severn regulars and the photo is decent with no one doubting the weight. I think that's why you are not seeing any doubters on here.

Aha, thanks Howard.
I don't think it's specific to the Trent, we've had some dubious 'offerings' from the Thames over the years which have looked no-where near their claimed weight. One such instance I remember was actually reported by the AM shortly after GR's record 18 something fish. It was latterly verifed as a '12lb' fish that was caught a couple of weeks earlier by the AM's very own Gary Newman....

Hi Ian, maybe i worded that wrongly, as i'm only asking generally. Some claims are accepted and some are, in my opinion, quite vigorously questioned.:confused:

Stephen

Isn't it just down to the specific circumstances of each claim/case that gives rise to scepticism? Some come with very decent photos and witnesses and some, well, don't.

It's a bit like saying:

"Good grief, two chaps were just walking down the road when one of them was wrested to the floor and then repeatedly hit in the face with a gentleman's slipper-what's that all about!?"

"I know, terrible isn't it. Mind you, that chap WAS carrying a loaded elephant gun and he WAS firing it indiscriminately at people shopping in Waitrose".

I think if you have a specific observation about why there seems to be a differing response, why not just share that for debate?

What?Howard,I enjoy reading your posts but this one I really can't understand.

Two chaps walking down the road but only one of them picked on-that's weird. It is, but in this specific case, there was good reason to pick on one of them.

The OP's question is impossible to answer in the generality and you need to look at the circumstances of each claim. Unless, it is perceived that there is a particular campaign against a certain river or angler where any claim made, no matter how strong the evidence, is questioned irrespective.

Stephen,

The Severn fish is being held to Kev gittins body. From this you get a very good scale of the fish if you'll excuse the pun. The trent fish (and there are more culprits in this week's dangling mags from the trent) are held out at arms length, which A, distorts scale and B, is poor safety for the fish in my opinion.

That's why I laugh at people's claims. Hold it close and you can tell mostly the size. Bad pictures aside.

Stephen,

The Severn fish is being held to Kev gittins body. From this you get a very good scale of the fish if you'll excuse the pun. The trent fish (and there are more culprits in this week's dangling mags from the trent) are held out at arms length, which A, distorts scale and B, is poor safety for the fish in my opinion.

That's why I laugh at people's claims. Hold it close and you can tell mostly the size. Bad pictures aside.

Absolutely Jeff - I honestly believe Kev could get at least 3 fingers up each nostril !!! We are so used to the extended arms shot we have now lost the reality/scale of a good fish.

I'd also like to add , although I don't know for sure, that the photographer (Chris?) was possibly STANDING and not kneeling whilst taking the photo. A School boy error (Sorry mate), as unfortunately bearing down on the subject changes the perspective masively, I know, I've early trophy shots that display exactly this phenomenon. :eek:

Absolutely Jeff - I honestly believe Kev could get at least 3 fingers up each nostril !!! We are so used to the extended arms shot we have now lost the reality/scale of a good fish.

I'd also like to add , although I don't know for sure, that the photographer (Chris?) was possibly STANDING and not kneeling whilst taking the photo. A School boy error (Sorry mate), as unfortunately bearing down on the subject changes the perspective masively, I know, I've early trophy shots that display exactly this phenomenon. :eek:

This one was taking crouched down as close to the same level as I could get to Kev considering I am significantly taller

I deliberately lifted slightly to get the best view of the fish, we kept urging Kev to tilt the fish toward the camera a little more but he was reluctant as he (quite rightly I think) was worried about his grip on the fish with his shaky hands.

It doesn't matter which river a potential big fish comes from:(

It is very simple, anyone who has the faintest idea about what constitutes a 'Specimen' fish also knows that if it is not accurately weighed and witnessed it will always provoke controversy;)

Even a so called 'Noddy' (a term I hate by the way) is only on the water because they have heard that big fish live there, so if they target them they have no excuses for not being equipped to properly record their catch in my opinion:p

There are enough bailiffs, fellow anglers, friends, etc to take a good photo and witness a big fish so if they fail to do the basics they should not be surprised if their 'Catch of a lifetime' is disbelieved:(

Two chaps walking down the road but only one of them picked on-that's weird. It is, but in this specific case, there was good reason to pick on one of them.

The OP's question is impossible to answer in the generality and you need to look at the circumstances of each claim. Unless, it is perceived that there is a particular campaign against a certain river or angler where any claim made, no matter how strong the evidence, is questioned irrespective.

"You might say that, but I could not possibly comment."

Hugo

This one was taking crouched down as close to the same level as I could get to Kev considering I am significantly taller
KevG1611b_zpsad4a1602.jpg

That's a much better shot Chris - A photo anyone could be proud of :)

Lol, following my car ain't gonna help anyone! I never catch anything record threatening

I am not having that Chris, but I admit to musing over where you two were on that fateful night:eek:

The last time if you recall I was on the wrong track, wot with the crooked BAA sign and all, only this time I have nothing at all to go on at all, like 'spot the ball'.:eek:

Lol Neil i had tried to get hold of Joe that night, if I'd have had your number you would of got a call too!

Was careful not to give too much a way with the pic, Kev doesnt doesn't want everyone knowing the fish was caught at at at at.....

Lol Neil i had tried to get hold of Joe that night, if I'd have had your number you would of got a call too!

Was careful not to give too much a way with the pic, Kev doesnt doesn't want everyone knowing the fish was caught at at at at.....

I understand Chris, anyway even if the whole world and it's dog knew the chances of repeating that is pretty slim, it's all about the intrigue. :)

Feel free to call me if there is a next time, I promise I won't say a word.;)

Back