• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Itchen record photo

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Although the new Itchen record of 14lb 8oz was announced a week or so ago, I've just been sent the photo. What a stunning fish and great to see it in the daytime:

5464d90fdbc15.jpg

Well done James Van Gowler!!

Cracking fish. Being of an inquisitive nature and as I know that barbel are not indigenous to the Itchen (I spent my formative years on the free Woodmill/Mansbridge stretch in Southampton), is this the same fish that set the previous river records, or is there more than one 'lump' in the lower Itchen?

I am aware that some barbel were illegally stocked many years back and just wonder if this is a Medway type situation with one or two large fish trapped in a length or whether this is the product of a successful breeding population?

Dave

I can throw some light on the Barbel situation in the Itchen, having fished Woodmill for many years for the sea Trout and Salmon and the last 2 years I've fished the free stretch and a private pool up at Bishopstoke.
The Barbel escaped from a fish farm near Bishopstoke some years ago(well done E.A. for allowing it to operate) reports vary from 2-10,000 fish. I've seen quite a few small ones in the pool in Bishopstoke (game fishing only) so they're probably breeding around there and I'd say that fishing the navigation would probably be fruitful.
HOWEVER, this year during the really hot weather July/August I spent most days for a couple of weeks scanning with polaroids the free stretch from the footbridge up to Gators mill looking for salmon.
I saw most fish that inhabit the river including a few surprise Carp and even a few flounders but not a single Barbel. They might have all been hiding in the weed or down in the park but I don't think there's many there. Didn't meet anyone who was fishing for them, or who had even caught one and it's quite a busy fishery.
Something that may be relevant were reports that around June 16th for some reason, probably to do with canoeing, Woodmill lifted their gates for a while with the result that the river was reduced to a reported 6 foot wide trickle in the middle of the channel, destroying all this years roach spawn on the weed at the base of the footbridge by it drying out, (well done again E.A.) this may well have pushed the Barbel downstream but as I saw so many Roach, Chub etc. I'd think it unlikely.
Cheers
Paul

Van the Man................. get in!

Top bombing chap, very well done

Another great fish, splendid photo...and hands that actually look small enough to belong to the captor :D Congratulations James, very well done.

Cheers, Dave.

James, you certainly get around!! Well done mate, I will probably see you next on another river...;)

Paul,

Thanks for your very informative reply. Sounds like the lower Itchen could become the Adams Mill of the future (Gaters Mill perhaps!?!?). I had assumed that some of the anglers I have seen on the road bank above the White Swan were after barbel but unlikely by the sound of it.

When I fished it in the late sixties, the main quarry were roach, dace and grayling with sea trout in season. Chub were very rarely seen in those days (my mates and I never caught any) but the roach were of a very good stamp with a smattering of twos, although the best I ever managed was 1.12 from memory.

Dave

When I've spoken to Colin in Home Stores, the tackle shop in Swaythling, most of the Barbel he's heard of have been caught upstream of the pub and below the mill.

I saw some good sized roach but trying to catch them is another matter! They're even spookier than the sea Trout.
Gators mill is the lower end of the lower Itchen fishery which is fishable on a day ticket if you don't mind shelling out about £100 a day for a Salmon rod in the summer, this drops to about £25 in the winter for pre booked coarse tickets. In their blurb the Barbel go up to 7lb apparently.
Lower Itchen Fishery for fly fishing one of the finest chalk stream rivers
Personally with a lot of big Grayling and Roach in there I'd be using the trotting outfit and concentrate on them.
If I had to catch Barbel on the river I'd get an Eastleigh season ticket and concentrate on the stretches around Bishopstoke which are largely neglected according to the Locals I spoke to.

well done James, a cracking fish from that river by all accounts......must get down there at some point, as a previous comment stated, you do get about!

Yep, I suppose I do get about. I'm not one for keeping my
Eggs in one basket. And this this season has paid off well
For not doing so. But it will all come to an end I'm sure as I am getting married
Next year. :eek:

Yep, I suppose I do get about. I'm not one for keeping my
Eggs in one basket. And this this season has paid off well
For not doing so. But it will all come to an end I'm sure as I am getting married
Next year. :eek:

Married :eek::eek::eek:

RIP your fishing career then :D. With the exception of the lucky few (Hatter springs to mind, with Sue actually encouraging him...and sometimes out fishing him :D), getting hitched has severe angling limiting effects :eek:

There are certain benefits by way of compensation, but given time, the urge to angle can cause errr...difficulties :D No matter, with a fish like that to look back on, the pain will be eased a bit. Good luck young sir.

Cheers, Dave.

Only sometimes out catching him Dave, you must be thinking of a different Mark and Sue, the ones i know, Sue always catches more than Mark!

Don't listen James, I'm sure that Rose will be sympathetic to your fishing situation. Take her with you - sometimes anyway!
All the best, the years have rapidly moved on from that chub in the aquarium and barbel by the bridge- give my regards to your dad.
Cheers
Bob

Back