• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

GTI v Torrix

Graham Hunt

I'm after a nice custom made 11ft rod from Santa this year.

It will be used in the main for close range barbelling on the Yorkshire rivers.

The options are a GTI or an torrix.

I've a couple of pals who recommend the GTI. Does anyone have an 11ft 1.75tc torrix? How do you rate it for small river barbelling?

All opinions welcome.

I would go for the Torrix mate. It has a lovely action with plenty of power in the butt when needed. Beautifully engineered blanks.

What about a Harrison interceptor being thrown in the mix?

I have used 11ft GTi's for 12 years now - was it that long when I built mine? - on all rivers, in all conditions. I would build more if anything ever happened to them.

Even when the Torrix became "flavour of the month" and "12ft" rods became "length of the month" the 11ft GTi is still hard to beat I think.

I was going to say Interceptor. Cracking action.

All the rods mentioned are good and to a certain extent comes down to personal tastes and general fishing conditions most likely to be encountered etc. Having a thorough wiggle on a made up rod would certainly help to fine tune your own choice.

Interceptor - great rod but 12'. Used mine for many years.

Torrix 11' - available in a number of stock test curves (1.5, 1.75 and 2lb) and different blanks to the 12' versions, the most noticeable visible difference being that they are slimmer than their 'larger' brothers.

GTI - did have a couple but didn't suit me or my tastes.

To complicate things in the 11' there is the 11' Avon at 1lb 6oz and the SU at 1.75lb in 2 piece and the 1.5 at 4 piece.

Actually used them all, caught fish on them and of the rods mentioned the 11' Torrix 1.75 has it, although lots of people will have different opinions.
For the record when there were more barbel in my river, I used the 2lb 11' Torrix for hit and hold and am currently using a 12' 1.5 Torrix with both plain and quiver tips for general fishing.

Cheers
Bob

Graham I've got a custom 11ft torrix 1.75 you could have a play with if you want as my barbel gears gathering dust till June 16th now, give us a shout if your interested

Ash

Its a lovely rod tho so delicate and light but power when needed too, perfect for 1 rod fishing on small rivers... But I've never seen a gti!

I have a couple of Peregrine 11 ft GTi's 1.75lb which I've now used for more years than I can count both on the Yorkshire rivers and on the flooded Trent and can't find fault. I broke a top section recently (user error) and had the repaired /replacement back within 10 days.
Never tried the Torrix but it is well spoken of by anglers whom I know and respect.

Ash,
I like that quote, I shall be using that in my fishing journal.
Thanks,
Bob

Ha :) I may bother a few perch too along the way, but once it starts cooling in sep/oct I can't think about barbel, always plan to stay after em a little longer each year but the pike always draw me in, probably explains my lack of success with big barbel tho cos as their starting munching up I'm putting barbel rods away

It's the time required to organise it mate. It would only get used for zeds now anyway ;)

Could arrange something, woodys coming down in a few week to see rob shallcrofts talk covering his river piking and zander exploits, come along with him and can pass it ya?

Asked the same question just over 18 months ago went for the torrix in the end it's a lovely rod. Had a wiggle of a gti too the torrix was much more tippy imo with power down the blank, felt very crisp in the hand, whereas the gti felt much more of a through action.

Back