• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Records

Richard Parsons

I had short, but interesting, exchange on 'another' forum with Steve Pope about river records and the validity thereof. The upshot being that when I posed the question "Are the BFW and Barbel Society records kept in tandem and, if not, are they still identical?", I received the answer "The BS records are the correct river records."

This strikes me as more than a little ambiguous and clearly doesn't answer my question. Anyone know?

I'm really not trying to provoke a 'political' discussion and I know how emotive some get with the mere mention of the BS (I'm not a member so feel completely ambivalent). Comments please?

Oh, and may I please add my congratulations on all the recently caught fish vying for their respective river records. The warm autumn has really given bumper conditions.....

The river records on this site - see rivers tab in top menu - carry the footnote "© 2014 The Barbel Society. All rights reserved. Compiled in association with BFW."

I've just received a message from Steve to confirm that the lists are identical, and that the BS owns and adjudicates the river records. :)

Oh, thanks Paul - missed that part.

They may collate but they do not own.

I believe the barbel society now own the river records and have a committee with dave mason heading it up as well as phil smith and 1 or too others on it, and work closely with bfw on keeping the records upto date, unless of course ive heard wrong.

jez

Hi men,

Nobody owns a river record , the BS own a list , with lots of historical records , of fish that have met their requirements to be accepted as the best barbel from that river ! . The barbel society has some members ( Rob , Dave etc ) who colate the info of claims to produce historical records , and good luck to them ! :D , as that can be a minefield with lots of hard work but with little thanks !. As claims of big potentially river records often come through BFW , as you don't have to be a BS member to post on here , it was obvious that it needed to be in association with BFW as Paul has pointed out in his post .

But , if someone catches "Bullithole" hole tonight , but don't claim through the BS for it to be recognised as a river record for the Dove , then how can anyone own that ?.

Fishermen & weights eh ? :D , good job I target fish that I don't weight :p

Hatter

By own, i simply meant now look after.

Someone will own the copyright to them though wont they, not that it matters

Jez

The reference to "ownership" here is actually copyright (preventing the duplication or publication of the records without prior permission from the Society), something the Society acquired along with a healthy amount of hard copy data. The Society also paid for this historical data to be digitalised to help organise and preserve it and this process will also make it easier to update as and when records change. Compiling the record list in collaboration with BFW makes perfect sense.

The list looks pretty stale to me anyway to be honest. I can see at least three rivers where the record is out of date and has been for some considerable time. Not a criticism as obviously not everybody reports their captures, but I wouldn't be worrying too much about who "owns" the list !

As a post script to my previous comment, I was fortunate enough to break one of those river records myself the day after I posted the comment. Spooky !

I'm not worrying just stating a fact. I'm sure many records are broken I myself know of one.

If i was ever lucky enough to break a record, i,d want everyone to know. :D Not that it will ever happen of course. ;) But hey ho, each to their own. :)

Back