• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society-2014 Research & Conservation Online Auction Lot listing

Howard Cooke

I've just seen that the online auction lot listing has gone live and you can see the enormous range of stuff available when you click on the link below. Bidding can't commence until the 27th and takes place on the BS forum. Tackle items, books, fishing permits, guiding days, bait: it's all there and all donated by those that support the R&C work. It's the main fundraiser so directly impacts the work that can be done. Cash and the time of those willing and able to contribute are limiting factors so every penny counts. Graham Elliot I see has thrown in a days fishing and with a slight tear in my eye, I handed over my 11ft 1lb TC Hexagraph. Whoever picks that up is getting a cracking rod!

Happy bidding!

The Barbel Society – Auction Lots

Such a shame that only BS members can bid on items, otherwise, i think a lot more money could be raised. Not everyone has a friend who,s a BS member, to bid on their be-halve. Just a thought, could the BS not organise an auction, open to bonafide members of the popular fishing forums ? Some great lots, would have loved to have had a go for some of them.

Howard.
I think I have put a day in for quite a few years, apart from when a certain chap was organising it..It's one of the areas of the BS that I am happy to support. Although it says Kennet or Loddon it can in fact be on another river such as the Trent. It can even be a trotting day on the Itchen or Hants Avon.

Last year took one of the newer BFW members on the Trent and he managed 8 barbel I think but lost a pb chub of well over 6lb at the net. We were both gutted.

Derek
I am sure some of the BS members here will be happy to do a bid for you as I will.

Graham

I hadn't realised that Graham-that's a superb effort and great to be able to offer all those options. I think these fishing days are some of the most popular lots on the auction list and I will be bidding for one or two myself!

Howard

Such a shame that only BS members can bid on items, otherwise, i think a lot more money could be raised. Not everyone has a friend who,s a BS member, to bid on their be-halve. Just a thought, could the BS not organise an auction, open to bonafide members of the popular fishing forums ? Some great lots, would have loved to have had a go for some of them.

Hi Derek-I understand where you are coming from. I suspect that running the auction through the BS website makes the process easier to manage and control. In addition, I think it is viewed as something of a benefit to members who get the chance to acquire some special items or fishing experiences that aren't always generally available. I am aware that some people join the BS specifically to be able to participate in the auction (especially at this time of year when there is a half year membership offer on). The other option, as Graham mentions, is to locate a friendly BS member to bid on your behalf-unless of course you want something they covet! There are quite a few BS members I think on BFW.

There have been rumours of late <We don't want to be a place that publicises rumours Tony - edit by Andy F>

Fair enough, sorry Andy.

Well Lee,
Rich Frampton said on his FB page on 22nd Nov that, and I quote, "the BS will be lucky to reach 400 members next year".

That's not a rumour.

Well Lee,
Rich Frampton said on his FB page on 22nd Nov that, and I quote, "the BS will be lucky to reach 400 members next year".

That's not a rumour.

That's very true Tony. Its not a rumour, its speculation. I haven't put it on my FB page, but I would predict that membership will reach at least 1,200 in 3-4 years time based on the work that is currently underway. This prediction is based on a platform of facts, but of course its still a prediction.

I would also make the general observation that it is truly uplifting to find that you can still encounter people with the energy, commitment and positivity to make something work and do so with the best intentions and desire to help others or improve something they and others believe in. That can seem like a rare attribute in a world in which far too many people it seems take distorted pleasure in trying to predict or cause the demise of something. I can only assume it is based on some deep-rooted sense of inadequacy, perhaps reinforced each time they examine the contents of their undergarments.

There were those that came on BFW and spoke of the forum being close to extinction because FB would dominate the entire social media landscape. What they failed to grasp was the notion of coexistence and how different organisations or social media platforms can offer very different things, albeit they may wear similar clothes. I understand that Bangkok can provide a similar experience.

The barbel diet thread generated over 100 posts of thoughtful analysis and intelligent challenge and I know it has given Pete Reading and the BS R&C team food for thought in terms of further work in this and related areas. I think this says a great deal:not only about the BFW members that contribute on the forum but also the differences between BFW and FB. FB is great for quick updates, Q&A and showing off your latest capture or new wellington boots and flask. Its less great for more considered narrative and debate.

I know I am reaching out beyond this thread and into others, but I really do struggle with why people feel the need to criticise the choices that others make in how and where they fish or what organisations they choose to join, promote or ignore.

My own perspective is very simple: Show consideration and respect for the fish, for fellow anglers and for the environment. If you are not competent to do this then devote the time to learn so that you are.

One might easily assume Howard, that an ex BS committee member would have his finger on the BS pulse far more than a foot soldier? Of particular concern, to me at any rate, are the number of disgruntled now "EX" BS committee men, and once 100% loyal BS members who all take a similar view in that the BS membership, far from being on the up, is in irreversible demise?

Your prediction Howard is as you say just that, a prediction. But the rapid ongoing fall in BS members since the days when they could of boasted 1000-1200 members is not a prediction. Its 100% fact Howard.

I have a question Howard, if indeed you are in a position to answer it. Is money raised from the BS R&C initiative now being syphoned off to help fund the BS fisheries and expenses?

Regards,

Lee.

Lee, For sure the fisheries don't stand on their own two feet as they once did.

Howard, I wish the BS all the luck in the world, but would bet my house that your prediction will not come true whilst the current occupants sit at the big table. I have the benefit of years as a member over you on this, greenhorn. :) Your misguided enthusiasm is to be applauded though.

Full of enthusiasm I went to a Barbel society localish meeting some years ago,in the close season, before the internet. The star turn was Fred Crouch and it was a very informative evening and as memberships were promoted as available on the night, I paid my years subscription, encouraged by the whole idea of it and a few weeks later got my badge and cards all ready for the next season. Before the new season had even started I was being asked for next years membership.
I felt this was nothing but a con and have not had a very high opinion of them ever since.
Cheers
Paul

One might easily assume Howard, that an ex BS committee member would have his finger on the BS pulse far more than a foot soldier? Of particular concern, to me at any rate, are the number of disgruntled now "EX" BS committee men, and once 100% loyal BS members who all take a similar view in that the BS membership, far from being on the up, is in irreversible demise?

Your prediction Howard is as you say just that, a prediction. But the rapid ongoing fall in BS members since the days when they could of boasted 1000-1200 members is not a prediction. Its 100% fact Howard.

I have a question Howard, if indeed you are in a position to answer it. Is money raised from the BS R&C initiative now being syphoned off to help fund the BS fisheries and expenses?

Regards,

Lee.

HI Lee, The Pope will have to be called before you get a anwser from Howard.

Regards Ray

I liked the Swim Wild Swim Free campaign bud sadly more Barbel than ever seem to be being stocked into stillwaters...I also liked the idea of belonging to something that people with the same interests as me were part of, the Brotherhood:)

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

I don't have the answer to your question about the R&C funds and so I would suggest you table that by contacting the treasurer or Pete Reading- assuming you are a member of the BS of course.

In terms of membership numbers, it is manifestly wrong to say they are in "irreversible demise". In fact they have been stable over the last 3 years with the current year being marginally up on last year. That said, we would certainly like to see numbers rising and it's absolutely something the Society is foucsed on. Again, if you are a member, then any thoughts or ideas you have to help grow the membership will be welcomed and you can always PM me here if you preferred.

You say in your post that you are concerned, which I take positively because concnern is typically an emotional response to caring. If you care about something then you consider its wellbeing and in doing so presumably want it to survive and flourish. To my mind, this means having a far greater focus on the future and not being paralysed by the past.

All the best.

Lee, For sure the fisheries don't stand on their own two feet as they once did.

Howard, I wish the BS all the luck in the world, but would bet my house that your prediction will not come true whilst the current occupants sit at the big table. I have the benefit of years as a member over you on this, greenhorn. :) Your misguided enthusiasm is to be applauded though.

Thanks for the good luck message Tony, it's appreciated.

That's disappointing, I thought you were better than that Ray.

Only a bit of Banter Howard. Have you phoned The Vatican yet. Shame you did not attend the Barbel soc Berkshire meeting last week thought as a committee man you would have been there. 27 of us turned up. And there were 2 very good speakers. It was a good night.

Only a bit of Banter Howard. Have you phoned The Vatican yet. Shame you did not attend the Barbel soc Berkshire meeting last week thought as a committee man you would have been there. 27 of us turned up. And there were 2 very good speakers. It was a good night.

Would love to have been Ray but I was overseas on business. Sadly I have this thing called work that continually gets in the way of my fishing.

Back