• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Night fishing.

James Healey

We all know its very common for carp anglers to fish for a couple days or weekend at a time. My carp obsessed pals reckon that more often than not the bite alarms will go off in the night rather than the day. I can't help but notice how much river activity picks up at dusk.
However I've never actually considered fishing the river bank overnight before, I have stayed well into darkness before with plenty of success.
Anyone on here got any experience of overnight fishing for barbel?

Yes, plenty James! It can be very good but varies from water to water. Where it's allowed I've often found around midnight to be a good time. Much has been said and written about the productivity of dusk and the first hour of darkness but that is not always the best time. Sometimes three or four hours into darkness produces more. Can't say I've ever done that well in the early pre-dawn period but maybe that's because I've often wound in and gone to sleep by then!

One of my pet hates is pointless night fishing bans such as operated by BAA. Of course, those who don't like night fishing like to claim us nocturnal anglers only night fish because we can't catch them in daylight. But we know they only say that because they're afraid of the dark... :D

Plenty of experience for me too. Generally better from about one hour after sunset for a few hours but I've also had the opposite when I've been catching barbel in daylight then it has gone dead at dusk. My catch rate in the dark is probably about twice that in daylight. However I do notice that my catch rate falls away by night two or three as fatigue sets in despite intravenous Red Bull and I stop doing the little things that can make the difference between success and failure.

Can highly recommend overnighting James. Ultimately, the longer you have a bait in the water the more chance you stand of catching your quarry, so long as you've got the basics right to start with, location, bait, rigs etc.

It does depend on the venue also. A big rivers means you could initially be some distance from your nearest barbel (or carp ), unless you've been prebaiting, so the longer you are there the more chance of the fish on a big river eventually finding your hookbait.
Overnighting means you get to avoid busy tow paths, boat traffic and rowers. I find the fish often tend to come into marginal weed beds once the boats die down.

I fish the Thames every week during the summer and autumn. Often the days can be a waste of time. You may be lucky enough to catch, but generally dusk till dawn is bite time. Spending a lot of time on the river, like a lake, puts you 'intune' with your venue and you tend to learn more. Also helps you enjoy your surroundings, enjoy nature, and enjoy your fishing more.

Just keep in mind we are not all retired and the only time we can get on the bank is during the evening.

Just about to say that Paul, due to my work 99% of my fishing has to be after dark, rather be doing days but needs must and all that!

Albert & John, so because you don't like night fishing you would like to ban it? How about banning daylight fishing? What do you have against people who enjoy night fishing for the different ambience it provides to daylight fishing? Or are you just afraid of the dark? :)

There should be no bans on night fishing. I cannot count the numbers of nights that I have fished for barbel, especially on the Lower Thames and Kennet. I have never fished a whole night on the Medway as I usually caught before midnight.

On the Thames I found that the pre dawn period was productive, not just for barbel but for rather fine chub.

I rarely caught during the wee small hours and strange to tell always held the rod. I have never been possessed by a bite alarm or monkey climber.

For those of you who just put the rod in the rest, you really are missing so much and I do not just mean bites. My biggest barbel have just given small twitches which would not register on the rod tip..

Warm regards,

Hugo

If I was king I would ban all night fishingtv you cannot catch in daylight sell the rods
Albert

Albert surely this would be counterproductive wouldn't it? You should be promoting and endorsing night fishing at the top of your voice so as to keep riff raff and befuddled numpty anglers off the banks during the day, thereby leaving them free to be enjoyed by anglers of real ability and standing. Otherwise, these angling buffoons will have no choice but to find time to fish during daylight. They will just make the riverbank look like Steptoe's yard.

Must say that I use to love night fishing on the rivers, the anticipation of the starlite arching round in the pitch black set the heart racing,..even though the end result was often a bream!
Being organised was so important, as was a sensible choice of swim.
I ended up buying a bait table to put all the odds and sods on after having the unpleasant experience of taking a slurp of coffee through a big slug which had perched on the rim of the cup!
Took my hat off for while one night and about ten minutes after I had put it back on felt something else on the barnet,...an enormous field slug which had slid into my hat when it was on the deck was giving me the extra thick styling mousse treatment...gross!
Although I no longer bother fishing all night I sometimes start early or fish into dark. I have pondered if night fishing on smaller rivers could make daytime sport more difficult by making the fish neurotic with the constant pressure if heavily fished.
One banker swim that has been home to barbel for decades that I know well seems almost totally devoid of fish since the controlling club allowed 24 hour fishing two years ago.
There are bound to be conflicting views on this topic and I guess that I would choose not to allow night fishing if I owned the rights to a venue ,hypocrite that I am. Litter and discarded line seem more prominent on some night fished venues,..not all though.
I take the mickey out of my oft night fishing carp and barbel mates and rib them that all they're doing is long lining!:D:D

Sounds like I've been missing out! One of the main drawbacks is that I fish mainly BAA waters and they are unwavering in their opinion that it would be unfair on the landowners to let me fish over night. Which is a shame because I suffer from the same problem as many people at my time of life, where it's a permanent cycle of kids parties, swimming lessons, and 6 days a week of working!

I'll let you know how I get on.

If I can find a fishery that'll let me lurk around after dark that is!

Well then.i had a newsagents for 30 years 24/7 and still found time for a bit of daytime barbel fishing
Albert

That's a remarkable feat Albert. You were working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you still went fishing!? Not only can you catch barbel during daylight, you have also managed to distort the space/time continuum sufficiently to create additional time for you to go fishing.

Alex, did u not notice the 'tounge in cheek' face.
I also work full time but during the summer months always find time do fish in daylight.
This time of year with work commitments I do struggle to get out in the daytime as much as I would like.
Given the option I would much prefer fishing days as it suits my style of fishing on clear waters through the summer months. I know many anglers who struggle to catch fish on the daytime and therefore choose to fish of a night. I also know a few waters that are an absolute struggle to catch fish from of a daytime and only prodice fish after dark.
No one can say that they only fish after dark becsuse they work full time can they?
Really.......
I don't buy that but I do understand anglers wanting to fish after dark.
Each to their own, and for many different reasons
;-)

Sounds like I've been missing out! One of the main drawbacks is that I fish mainly BAA waters and they are unwavering in their opinion that it would be unfair on the landowners to let me fish over night. Which is a shame because I suffer from the same problem as many people at my time of life, where it's a permanent cycle of kids parties, swimming lessons, and 6 days a week of working!

I'll let you know how I get on.

If I can find a fishery that'll let me lurk around after dark that is!

It's certainly worth exploring James. As Paul mentions above, for many of us fishing into dark, especially at this time of year, is very often something of a necessity with full time working and a family. I certainly do get to fish during the day from time to time but I would say 80% of my trips are generally limited to a couple of evenings a week, often arriving in the dark after work. As others have mentioned, being highly organised and knowing the river very well helps tremendously-to enjoy your fishing and be safe of course. I have come to really enjoy it too and once you get used to the noises made by your new night time wildlife friends, a calm warm night by the river can be quite special. Especially if its violently interrupted by the centrepin screaming into life.

I like to fish an hour or so into dark because seemingly dead swims can very often come alive. I've never been a fan of all nighters though, because if you're tired, night fishing can get too much like hard work. Also, I want to be in control of my rods and not use alarms.

I'm one of the many lucky, retired anglers and I've got a thing called 'bed' at home, it's really comfy and warm - particularly at this time of the year. There is also the added bonus of not having rats running all over me whilst I'm dreaming about catching that elusive double!

Back