• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunners...

John Cook

Hi All,

After a brief flirtation with another brand of baitrunner reel i am going to get another Shimano Baitrunner, On checking whats available it doesnt seem to be much in the 5000 size does it? Looks like it could be a second hand XTEA or back to the GTE's....

Still some good second 5000's to be had off ebay and the like, 5010's are my choice, but good one's are getting rare.

Give it time gents, shimano aren,t that stupid, get ready for the ultimate shimano 5000 size reel, coming to a shop near you soon. ;) And a nice price to boot no doubt. :D

Thanks for info so far lads, that 5000 XTEA was a good reel wasnt it but checking around ebay they seem very scarce, i dont like the handle on that 6000D though, cant find a 5000 XTRA either...

I made the mistake of replacing my 5010s with XTR 6000RA super's back in March and although I can't fault the quality they are much to big for my liking.
It was an error on my part to buy without handling the reels before ordering.
My mate has the 5000s which are discontinued, and I thought the 6000s would'nt be that much bigger but....

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5306-2014-11-28-11-52-46.jpg

They would be ok for big rivers, but I have'nt even bothered to spool them up, prefering the 5010s.
300 quid not well spent :rolleyes:
I believe the only differance between the 6000 and 8000 XTR's nowadays is the spool capacity.

Blimey Dave that is a big difference:eek:

Like the look of the 6000oc and the 6000D with a flat handle but i think they are a little expensive for me...

John, the 6000D look nice and perform well. However I find them a little heavy, and too big for the small rivers I fish.

Right, thank you for that info Paul i can cross that from the list,,I suppose the 600oc would be much the same?

cant find a 5000 XTRA either...

You won't find one john. no matter how hard you look... they didn't make a 5000 XTRA...

the XTRA series of reels consist of a 6000... 8000 ... and a 10000
these were the new super baitrunners replacing the XTEA'S and discontinuing the 5000..
there were a few 5000 RE'S limited editions with the double handle knocking around for a while but after they got snapped up that was it on the 5000 baitrunner front...

Thanks Phil, do you see many used 5000XTEA's about? I have had in the past the 5000RE the 5000GTE and the 5000GTEC, was looking for a newer model dont really want to go back to the older models...

John...There are 2 on e-bay at the moment...1 is up for auction and the other buy it now for £110 or near offer with post included..
they do fetch on average around the £100 mark...ouch!

just wondering John if any members could be thinking of selling theirs, might be worth a wanted ad in the classifieds...

I bought the Shimano X-Aero 4000FA after a discussion with a Shimano rep he reassured me due to the spool size and over all design it was more than a match for any 5000 size reel they made. He was wrong
I've bought Fox Eos 7000 reels in the end cheap and the right size hopefully Fox have sorted their gearing issues of the past because there perfect for my kind of fishing.

Yep just looked at the one on Ebay, Robert surely they are a match for the old GTE or GTEC?

Phil that could be a good idea...

Back