• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

painting rod tips

Ben Jennings

I want to paint the tips of my freespirit Barbel seekers as with the trees on the far bank the black is tricky to see. What paint would you recommend? As surely it'll need to be flexible as it could possibly crack should the tip bend.

I use PTFE plumbers tape on my Free Spirit so if ever I want to take it off I can. It works a treat with no fuss or mess if you do take it of.

A mate of mine recommended using PTFE but he emailed me last week to say he reckoned that the line slapping against the tape was causing the tape to fray and that in turn was fraying the line and as a result he had taken it off. Have you noticed any problems?

Cheers chaps. Bob is there any particular make of paint you would recommend? People have said about the ptfe tape is really should try it as being a plumber I have loads in the van the gas version would probably be good just fancied something a bit more permanent.

rod tops

isotopes seems to work in the dark for me:eek: me mate uses ptfe no problem with it fraying but might depend on rod eyes.

Really hate painted/white tips. Much prefer to use isotope fitting and bright float tips in them for day time and isotopes for night work.

I find as a single bright item at the end of the rod, shows up rattles and knocks better as they isolate the tips better. JMO.

There was thread many moons ago on a DIY isoblob-style solution. It does involve removing the top ring though. You put a length white shrink tube on the tip, shrunk to fit.. You then put some clear shrink tube over it, with an isotope slotted into it. So you end up with both a white tip and an isotope.

You could of course just use the white shrink tube, better than sticky tape or paint, but only if you are confident in removing and refixing the top ring.

I bought the bits & pieces, but never had the confidence to remove the ring.

Really hate painted/white tips. Much prefer to use isotope fitting and bright float tips in them for day time and isotopes for night work.

I find as a single bright item at the end of the rod, shows up rattles and knocks better as they isolate the tips better. JMO.

Spot on, why do people need to pait the tips white? Enterprise night sight holder, containing a drennan float insert during the day, which is switched over to an isotope at dusk;)

That's a cracking idea with the float insert. It was more my quiver tops I was going to paint as the little painted parts are to small for me.

I use the same enterprise fitting and have never had a tangle,but then again i am mostly lowering baits into spots,seems as long as the starlight/isotope is over the end of the rod they do not tangle.I also add a tiny blob of superglue onto the piece that the silicon goes over to secure it in place and stop it from coming off,had one come off on a strike once and never did find it or the isotope.

:rolleyes: Tangles ???

Whether flicking out a small lead on my local River Dane or launching big feeders across the River Wye - No tangles ;)

Re quiver tips, you may recall that Bob James used the float insert method during a passion for angling, when taking that big roach catch on the Avon; its where I got the idea from. Enterprise do the adapters in 3 sizes: for quiver tips, avon rods and carp rods.

Edit: buy extra silicon tubing and leave permanently on the float insert or isotope, makes changing them a doddle when on the bank.

Surely not the original question. Painting rod tips is bob gills territory etc. Instead of alternative ideas on this promotion of the original post would be better surely? ?

Back