• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A fishing chair that isnt really a chair but you can sit on it. And it carries stuff.

Howard Cooke

Not being able to think of a generic term for what I am looking for, I have tried to describe it in the title of the thread. I mostly rove when barbel fishing and so generally carry as little as I can get away with. Tackle and bait are carried about in an extremely lightweight and waterproof rucksack actually designed for folk that like climbing up stuff. This means I don't carry a chair because that's the one item, no matter how light (I do have the Nash lightweight chair which is great), that will almost ensure I don't move about that much. This means I end up sitting on the bank or an unhooking mat until, hopefully, that becomes wet and fishy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of tackle bag/rucksack thing that is also stable enough to double up as a seat? It doesn't need to have a back to it or a cup holder. I'm not that heavy at 12.5 stone which may help. I did try sitting on one of those camouflage bait bucket things but that was a spectacular and painful fail.

Thanks.

Hi Howard, don't know if it would be any good to you but if you google ' Shakespeare fishing rucksack chair stool' you will see a possibility for a svelte young whippet like yourself ! Although it is a bit chair like you would be hard pushed to get a full on snoozing session in it.There are also backless versions of the same, one with a cooler bag instead of a rucksack attached which could easily be utilised as a tackle bag.

Now if you had asked me 20 years back Howard, I would have recommended an Efgeeco Packaseat. Sadly, they are no longer made, although they do come up on fleabay now and then. Brilliant concept and design, spot on for barbeling...providing you weren't a lardyarse...which you and I are clearly not :D

Cheers, Dave.

I saw a Wychwood one in go outdoors recently, I thought it looked pretty solid but it seems to have mixed reviews on their website. I'd say it's worth checking out.

Wychwood stool/bag

12.5 stone! You racing snake Howard! The Shakespeare mentioned above is worth a look mate, I've still got the backless version in the shed which I tend to use from time to time despite the mice trying their absolute best to destroy it. Ive used bait bucket bags/pads etc but you just end up with backache! The rats recently killed off my last one, I can't imagine I'll be purchasing another.....A cat? Now one of them might be useful.

I remember stumbling across Stuart Morgan on the banks of the Bristol Avon a few years ago whilst laden with my trendy chair, rucksack etc. He was roving around with a neat little black seatbox slung over his shoulder. What a good idea I thought...

Am A bit like you Howard and don't try to take too much stuff, I have the Chub low and light chair and I prefer to take in that as it's easier to carry than using the Shakespeare fishing stool /rucksack (without the back) which I have and bought for the purposes you describe and only used once. An old rucksack won't let you down (Faces song). My main alternative without a chair is to sit on a bait bucket.

All the best.

Hi Howard,
I think I've probably tried the lot when it comes to roving 'chair/bag thingies '.
Most of the seats don't seem to lend themselves to sloping riverbanks.
Like many, I started off with tackle boxes and baskets which you could sit on but would invariably end up with 'basket bum ', so rucksacks and a separate seat became the norm.
For roving I haven't really found anything to better a simple small folding seat which clips on the back of the rucksack.
I experimented with zip up weighing sling/mats that were designed to hold bits & bods and be carried like a quiver but they didn't work for me.
I've been using the Fox Adjuster-Level chair for static sessions which has been great but for a supposedly lightweight chair it's too heavy and cumbersome to lug from swim to swim. My old low chair which it replaced had an aluminium tubular frame and would attach to a ruckbag, the Fox is of steel tube construction and weighs twice as much.
This has something to do with EU directives that chairs must be guaranteed to 18 stones nowadays which makes me curse the cronicley obese when I'm getting a sweat on walking to a distant swim!
As I mentioned, a lightweight simple backless folding seat works well and keeps the backside off the frosty or wet bank as well as being dead easy to cart around.
Alternatively, you could employ a gillie :D

Last edited:
I think the Korum Roving kit is still around if you look, and there is at least one thread on BFW about it.

I use my Lone Angler bag as a seat 90% of the time and stuff in my rod sleeve and unhooking mat and it is fine for an hour of so with the odd stretch and then move swims...as i travel by bus it also means i don't look like the proverbial...for longer sessions in one swims the Korum lightweight chair.

Howard, i have one very similar to this and its not too bad having a padded top.No back support, but sometimes i find it more comfortable leaning forward on it, and you can get plenty enough gear in it for a day. Also have a small Shakespeare folding chair which is "adequate" for short stops at different swims and very light. I used this chair on the Wye last year and had a couple of reasonably well known Barbel anglers have a go at me from the top of the bank, you know (i had one of those when i was ten years old with a little rucksack on it) so be prepared if you chose this route. You could also do what i did, and tell them to F@ck off.:)

Stephen

In this weeks AT & AM there is an advert for a Matt Hayes Wild Low Chair from Dragon Carp (!). Not the Wild Rover Chair but the Wild Low Chair. It looks like the old Efgeeco Packaseat and could do the job you want.

When roving lure fishing in my small rucksack I have one of those low small 12 inch high tripod chairs with a seat not much bigger than a bicycle saddle. Its not very big but it does give a bit of relief to sit down when having to re tackle, have a cuppa or leger a worm for 30 minutes or so before moving on.

On some grayling or barbel roving trips I also use the folding Shakespeare chair or stool and have sometimes used a very small plastic seatbox with built in cushion.

In this weeks AT & AM there is an advert for a Matt Hayes Wild Low Chair from Dragon Carp (!). Not the Wild Rover Chair but the Wild Low Chair. It looks like the old Efgeeco Packaseat and could do the job you want.

When roving lure fishing in my small rucksack I have one of those low small 12 inch high tripod chairs with a seat not much bigger than a bicycle saddle. Its not very big but it does give a bit of relief to sit down when having to re tackle, have a cuppa or leger a worm for 30 minutes or so before moving on.

On some grayling or barbel roving trips I also use the folding Shakespeare chair or stool and have sometimes used a very small plastic seatbox with built in cushion.

Matt Hayes Low Chair

Cheers, Dave.

Many thanks chaps there are a few good choices there worth having a proper look at. This is why you need tackle shops that you can walk into and then test stuff out. Especially this kind of gear.

I especially like the idea of getting a gillie. I've just sent a text to Kelly Brook asking if she would be up for it. She looks really comfortable to sit on. As an extra incentive I said if she performs well I might enter her for a competition. No reply yet.

I've been looking for the same kind of kit for years and still not found what I'm looking for.
One time,I even thought about designing my own bit of kit and getting it made. I've had sleepless nights dreaming about flying to China on fishing chair business but only seem to get as far as the beautiful Chinese sales rep then i wake up hot and sweaty.

Back