• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ise(brook)

Dan Whitelock

Chaps and chappesses,
Anyone fished this little stream? It's soon to become rather local to me. PM please if preffered!
Regards,
Dan

hi dan

i asked a similar question not too long ago on here and various other forums

the general answer was you wouldnt find many , if any barbel , well where i was asking about

for barbel , i ended up on a day ticket stretch of the nene , about 30 miles away

I know that there's some lovely chub and roach in there, and it was apparently stocked with small barbel a few years back. Was curious if anyone here fished it for anything. I have plenty of barbel stretches to go at but I'm always open to a change of scenery, especially if it's local.

Hi Dan. The answer to your question is maybe. I have seen an article in the Kettering Evening Telegraph dated August 1997 of Barbel and other species being stocked at Finedon Mill after a fish kill as a result of a pollution incident. After further investigation with the club that runs that stretch they confirmed then that the article was incorrect about the stretch and the fish were introduced lower down towards Wellingborough where the Ise meets the Nene.

Now I have never caught a barbel from the Ise and have spent the last 8 years fishing the river, but I have caught Barbel from the Nene not more than 200 yards from where the Ise enters. That said, the Roach, Chub and Perch fishing is spectacular, and there is always a chance of catching a rare Northamptonshire Grayling which I have managed to do on a handful of occasions. Very Crabtree and a gem of a river.

Thanks Justin, I did wonder if the barbel had ended up in that bit of the Nene via the Ise, though I always thought the Ise ran into a lake of sorts which then fed into the Nene out the back of the pikey camp? Never fancied leaving my truck there long enough to have a good look when I had a Wellingborough card!
I used to walk it a fair bit when I lived at Burton Latimer but only ever saw chub and roach, lovely little river though for sure.

Back