• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Merry Christmas, or chin up.

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
As an aside to Howards Merry Christmas thread. Has anyone else had the worst year of their lives ? As i have just had.

Split up with missus after 27 years, still love her to bits. But she loves someone else. Lost my dad who i loved and admired so so much, will be the first Christmas without him, being an ex army chef, he always cooked the Christmas dinner for all the family. Now ive just been told, (20-12-2014), one of my best fishing buddies has been given the last rights. Dialysis and medication has been stopped, after a liver donor could not be found in time to save him. Alls he talked about, was our first ever sea fishing trip to Anglesey, and how he was so looking forward to the next one. Good night and god bless, to my dad Tommy, and my good friend and fishing buddy Barry, i love,d you both to bits. xxx

Feel for you Derek it's a difficult time of year when your lucks been poor.

Derek, I share the grief that you are so obviously feeling right now, I do feel for you mate. My dear lady wife has recently had the sad news that she has cancer. Not quite the Christmas present we were hoping for, but we hope the planned chemotherapy will make the new year a happy one. Take care chap, all the best, Dave.

Sounds all too familiar to me.
Split with my wife of 27 years, I met someone else quite quickly, head over heels in love. Turned out that my new lady had a lump which she was denying. Many operations ensued.
That all started 13 years ago, and 13 years down the line we're all still alive though life is obviously not the same.
Life does go on and we have to cope. Go fishing, and reflect on the good things. You have my undiluted comiserations, good luck, and chin up.

As an aside to Howards Merry Christmas thread. Has anyone else had the worst year of their lives ? As i have just had.

Split up with missus after 27 years, still love her to bits. But she loves someone else. Lost my dad who i loved and admired so so much, will be the first Christmas without him, being an ex army chef, he always cooked the Christmas dinner for all the family. Now ive just been told, (20-12-2014), one of my best fishing buddies has been given the last rights. Dialysis and medication has been stopped, after a liver donor could not be found in time to save him. Alls he talked about, was our first ever sea fishing trip to Anglesey, and how he was so looking forward to the next one. Good night and god bless, to my dad Tommy, and my good friend and fishing buddy Barry, i love,d you both to bits. xxx

Very sorry to hear that Derek, particularly difficult when it all happens so soon and your still reeling from the heartache of the previous. Keep and treasure the memories and i hope things improves for you.

All the best
Stephen

My thoughts will be with you on Xmas Day Derek....I'll raise a glass to you and wish you a better 2015...try and keep yer chin up!

Hi Derek.
such sad news, and so much in such a short time.

Although it's been a very bad period, rejoice in the good times that you have been given in the past, Try to look forward and I am sure good times that I am sure will be yours in the future.

Thinking of you.

Graham

Lay a place at the head of your table Christmas day for your dad ,Tommy.Say a toast to him and your mate Barry and remember the good times.Things will get better, though its hard to see at the moment.My thoughts are with you and your family

Sounds all too familiar to me.
Split with my wife of 27 years, I met someone else quite quickly, head over heels in love. Turned out that my new lady had a lump which she was denying. Many operations ensued.
That all started 13 years ago, and 13 years down the line we're all still alive though life is obviously not the same.
Life does go on and we have to cope. Go fishing, and reflect on the good things. You have my undiluted comiserations, good luck, and chin up.

Hi Phil, thanks for your encouraging words, appreciate it. The cancer my wife has is Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. Oddly enough, she too had a lump she was ignoring...why do women do that? Even I didn't know about it, and we have been married for over 40 years :eek:. However, we are staying optimistic that the chemo will help, although her being in her 70's doesn't improve things. We sure as hell aren't giving up yet though!

Cheers, Dave.

I feel for you Derek,that's a bad year,I've split with my missus this year all be it my own stupid
Fault so I'm going to head up to the place I most feel at home on Christmas day, the ribble. Don't think I'll need to fight for a peg that day. I'll take a bottle of beer and toast you and all the other
Anglers on here and wish you all the best for 2015.
Regards Darren

Some sad reports on here, so Derek Dave and Darren especially, hopefully 2015 and beyond brings you all better times.

And thank goodness we all have got fishing in our lives..

Neil

You never know what's round the corner.

Commiserations to Derek, David and Darren.

And to add another 'D' to the list....The Big C turned up on my doorstep this year. Surgery and 33 doses of radiotherapy has hopefully got rid of it.

Good riddance to 2014

lost my dad too on the 15th November. A short illness which came from nowhere, so I'm not arsed at all about Christmas this year. To be honest I'm not much of a christmas fan anyway, I'd rather have two summers.....

Like Simon, I'll drink to better times.I've lost some good friends this year including my mum,..just makes me want to get the best from every day.
Good wishes to all on bfw and here's hoping for a happy new year.;)

Best wishes to you all, here's hoping for a better 2015 and more fishing!

garry

Back